What's new

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal is out!!! (1 Viewer)

BTW as of the start of Chapter 6 in SoA my current party is:
Archanon - 13th Level Paladin (Brought him in from BG1)
Primary Weapon: Dragon Slayer AC: -10
Minsc - 13th Level Ranger
Primary Weapon: - Heatseeker and Flail of Ages AC: - 2
Jaheira - 13th Level Druid/11th Level Fighter
Primary Weapon: Staff Mace AC: -7
Imoen - 12th Level Mage/7th Level Thief
Primary Weapon: Necaradan's Crossbow +3 AC: 0
Aerie - 11th Level Cleric/12th Level Mage
Primary Weapon: Sling +2 AC: -3
Nalia - 14th Level Mage/4th Level Thief
Primary Weapon: Crossbow of Affliction +4 AC: -2
I haven't done any of the stuff in the Umar Hills region nor have I slain Firkraag. Guess I still have a way to go yet. :)
P.S. What's the deal with installing ToB. When I installed ToSC on to BG1 before I finished it, it wouldn't import my game file. That really annoyed me so I went straight to SoA. Should I install ToB before or after I finish SoA.
Sorry about the excessive use acronyms.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
It shouldn't make a difference when you install ToB but you shouldn't start it until you have completed all of SoA you plan to (once imported into ToB you cannot easily take your characters back to SoA). The ToSC add on for BGI was just extra areas, unrelated to the story. The add on for BGII is both an extra area and a post completion story.
Also, I think the romance options can only be completed in SoA. The romance will continue in ToB (if it was completed in SoA) but I don't think it will advance in ToB. Also, it is probably a good idea to max your characters in SoA before migrating them to ToB. Mine were maxed and are now in the low 20th level area (for the non dual classed ones) and the game is not excessively difficult. With lower level characters it might be tougher. Hope that helps.
On a side note, I have just finished the initial areas and am trying to decide whether to go for the new dungeon or head south and continue the story. I think I will go for the dungeon and try and do some more leveling. Incidentally, my new front line of my character, Sarevok, and Keldorn can take down a normal fire giant in less than 10 seconds usually. Gotta love it. I still do my best to stay on the path of the good Bhaalspawn though
wink.gif

Well, I decided to go for the dungeon and am just starting level 2. My main character's current stats are:
Lvl 23, AC -13, HP 171, he is a Chaotic Good Elf Fighter, his primary weapon is "The Equalizer", and his stats are ST - 22, Dex - 19, Con - 18, Int - 10, Wis - 10, Char - 20. Not too shabby :)
Kenneth

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Whilst going through the game, I found out there were several missions I hadn't completed...so, I haven't touched ToB as of yet.
blush.gif

On the progressions of saves I'm using now, I hadn't finished the "Magic Sphere" mission with Valgyar nor had I finished the quest about the ghostly boy in the Graveyard district. This makes me wonder what else I hadn't done with these saves.
My main character is only Lvl 18 with 148 HP. AC is only
-4! How'd you manage a -13? I have the Gorgon Armor and a 2-Handed Weapon (Casomyr) so no shield
frown.gif
I do have the Equalizer but it only really works against those of extreme alignment..that's why I went with the Casomyr; Dispel Magic when hits.
biggrin.gif

------------------
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
You definitely need a shield to get to -10 and below. Here is my main character's stats (aka: Anatomy of a -14 AC, yep it got even lower :) ):
Glorfindel (AC: -14)
Armor: White Dragon Scale, AC -2 Base, 50% cold resist, cone of cold 3x/day
Shield: Shield of the Order, AC adjustment (-5)
Helm: Helm of Balduran, AC adjustment (-1), +5 HP, +1 Saving throws, +1 THAC0
Ring: Ring of Gaxx, AC adjustment (-2), +2 saving throws, +10 magic resist, Immune to Poison/Disease, Regenerate 1HP/3 sec, Invisibility 1x/day, Improved Haste 3x/day
Dexterity: 19, AC adjustment (-4)
Others goodies in my possesion include:
Gauntlets: Gauntlets of Extra Specialization, +1/2 attack, +1 THAC0, +2 Damage
Amulet: Amulet of Seldarine, +10% Magic resistance, +1 Saving throws
Ring: Ring of Fire Control, 50% Fire Resistance, Charm Elemental, Burning Hands 1x/day, Flamestrike 1x/day
Cloak: Cloak of Mirroring, deflect all spell damage
Boots: Boots of Speed
Girdle: Girdle of Fire Giant Strength, Strength = 22
Quick slot: Book of Infinite Spells (fireball)
Sword: Equalizer
This leaves me with Stats of:
Strength=22, Dexterity=19, Constitution=19, Intelligence=10, Wisdom=11, Charisma=20
AC = -14, HP = 194, Class = Fighter, Alignment = Chaotic Good, Race = Elf, Level = 29
Resistances: Fire - 50%, Cold - 50%, Magic - 25%, Saving throws +5
Base THAC0: -2, THAC0: -9, # attacks: 3, Reputation: 20
Proficiences: Long Sword - +++++, Long Bow - +++, Sword and Shield - ++, 2 Weapon Style - +++
In short Glorfindel is a Wrecking machine
biggrin.gif

The best AC I was able to get in the regular BG2 was -12 (and that was with a shield). Keldorn, who is my Paladin NPC uses the Carsomyr +5 and can't use a shield so his AC is only -8. He was about -7 in regular BG2.
To get the low AC without a shield you would need -1 Base AC armor (relatively common in BG2, at least 2-3 different ones available) and a high dexterity (18+). In addition you would need to add a good helm, a ring, and maybe something else. I would highly recommend the ring of Gaxx, if you don't have it yet. With the Carsomyr it is possible to get it, it is almost impossible without the Carsomyr. The downside of the ring of Gaxx is that you have to kill 3 Liches and 1 DemiLich in BG2 (no small task) to get it.
As an aside, I finished the Tower Keep and have now moved back onto the main quest in ToB.
Kenneth

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Fellow Gamers,
I am sort of interested in Baldurs Gate. I like the Final Fantasy series, and Diablo and things like that. Would this game have any appeal to me? I am thinking about picking up the original since it's only about 20 bucks. Would it be more worth it to buy the second one instead?
Also, how's the learning curve?
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Joe,
As a new Baldur's Gate player I would definitely start with Baldur's Gate 2 rather than BG1. The pacing is better and the graphics are much improved.
As to whether you would like BG2 that is hard to tell. BG2 is more story oriented than Diablo II and although there is lots of combat it is more strategic and less repetitious. If you like DII for its non-stop activity then you will not find that in BG2 and you will be disappointed. However, if the story of DII was what appealed to you and you wished for more interaction with the other characters, then that you will get from BG2 in spades.
BG2 is definitely a more traditional role playing game where DII tends to be more of an action game. I myself like both but there is a large camp that is dedicated to one and hates the other. If the combat is what interests you then you might give Icewind Dale a look. It is not as story driven as BG2 (although it does have significantly more story than DII) and it focuses more on character development and combat (more like the DII model).
Hope that helps.
Kenneth

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Joe-
The last RPG I really played was Bard's Tale, so I guess that makes me a born-again newbie to the genre.
I was interested in Baldur's Gate and decided to give it a try with BG1. I picked it up on Friday for $20, and so far, I have really enjoyed it. I can't say how it compares to BG2, but I can tell you that it is an entertaining game, especially as I start to get the hang of things. To me, it is well worth $20.
-Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I don't care too much about graphics, as long as the game is fairly playable. I'm replaying Gabriel Knight, Sins of the Fathers right now, which came out in 1994, so the game is the most important thing.
I have a PIII, 500 btw.
I liked Diablo for both the story and the combat, the game is quite addicting. I loved the Final Fantasy series for the story, which is the main reason why I played it.
Andy,
The last RPG you played was A Bard's Tale? Wow, that was quite a while ago.
------------------
Joe Dahlen

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'd suggest starting with BG1. This will allow you to get the feel of the game with small monsters (goblins and such) and also get the storyline in bits, which made BG2 that much more enjoyable. Kennth is correct with his summation of the two games, but I'm glad I went ahead with BG1...it made BG2 look that much better. :)
[Also played Bard's Tale 1 & 2 on the Commodore 64
cool.gif
]
------------------
cwmddd.gif
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Whew, I just finished ToB. Now I can work on my DVD backlog a little before I jump into the Diablo II expansion. I have enclosed the ending I chose in spoiler bars:
Spoiler:I chose the mortal path. Given my character up to that point and his relationship with Jaheira, that seemed most appropriate. It was nice to get the dialog options after I chose to stay, with Jaheira being shocked that I didn't leave her. Quite good. There are ending texts for each of your party members that are very good. I found Keldorn's to be particularly moving.
Enjoy. There is one particularly funny episode in Abizigal's lair. I have included the instructions to begin this episode in the spoiler bars. I will not include the actual details so that you can enjoy them first hand. Instructions to start follow:
Spoiler:Make sure you pick up the "Stone to Flesh" spells you find laying around. When you find the monk in the prison he will tell you about the Geas guardian dragon. When you encounter the green dragon that ignores you, do not kill it. Go into one of the other holes to find the mad wizards cave. He is located in the NW corner of the caves with the seekers (little skulls that attack you). When you talk to him say that collecting the item he wants seems beneath you. He will tell you to subcontract it to the statues of the adventurers standing nearby. Use the "Stone to Flesh" spell on them, send them on the quest with an offer of a reward and enjoy. Very funny.
I still want to go back to my last save and try the other ending available. Happy hunting.
Well, I tried the other ending and I think my first was the right choice. See the other ending in spoiler bar:
Spoiler:I chose to become a diety. Unfortunately I broke poor Jaheira's heart. I become a god for the forces of good and balance and my name shall live forever, MUWAHAHAHA. Oops, sorry :) Character endings are the same except for the romantic partner. In the mortal ending Jaheira and I go on adventuring together and she is happy and fullfilled. In the god ending she is sad and while she goes onto greater things she isn't as happy after you abandon her for godhood.
Cheers,
Kenneth

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Well, I picked up Baldurs Gate 1 last night at WalMart for 20 bucks. I've gotten to that city that starts with an N(forgot the name.)
This game is pretty darn deep. I was a little overwhelmed when I had about 60 different things to pick from right at the beginning with the character.
Can anyone recommend a guide to this game that works well. I got Gamespots guide, but it's not that great(unlike all the rest of them.)
------------------
Joe Dahlen

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I am not sure what you are looking for exactly but planet baldur's gate appears to be a good resource (watch out for their forums though, they will have lots of spoilers). See the link below:
Link Removed
If you want more detailed information a search on google.com should bring up lots of walkthroughs. Also, feel free to ask questions here. I have played through Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast (the BG expansion), BG2, and Throne of Bhaal (the BG2 expansion). I have also played completely through Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter (the Icewind Dale expansion). I know John has many hours spent on this series also. We can probably provide some help or suggestions, if needed. Enjoy.
The hardest part of BG is getting the right party mix. If you are evil you will have a tough time as there are a limited number of evil characters available. If you are good there is a much better selection. Here is the party I used for reference, inside the spoilers:
Spoiler:Glorfindel - An Elf fighter (me), my NPC's were Imoen (Thief, but if you have the expansion she can be dual classed into a mage fairly easily), Khalid (Fighter), Jaheira (Fighter/Druid, my cleric), Minsc (Ranger), and Dynaheir (Invoker). Unfortunately Khalid and Jaheira and Minsc and Dynaheir are pairs so you cannot dismiss one without losing the other, although if you wish a little moral ambiguity there is a way to lose one without losing the other (hint: combat is a dangerous business).
Good Luck.
Kenneth

Finished SoA last night. Yay!!!!!!
What an awesome game. I found those last two battles rather difficult. I presume everyone is playing on Core Rules.
Anyway, bought ToB yesterday in anticipation of my landmark achievement and I'm now locked and loaded for the next part.
I fear I may be lost once I finish ToB. Baldur's Gate is like a great book you can't put down. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks