Balanced outputs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    can someone please explain to me what this is? i was browsing the Rotel website and came acrossthis player with balanced outs (they look like microphone outputs!). also, would your pre/pro or receiver need a connector type like that to benefit from the balanced signal?
    thanks in advance.

2. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Thomas,

I also posted this in the upgraditis thead, but, I am on the faculty at TCU, psychology department. How in the world do you fit all of that in the small dorm rooms at TCU?

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    george- if you'd like to come take a look/listen, feel free to email me a date you can drop by. i think we have it all set up very well. i dont think these rooms are too small and once i get a 6-shelf stand next year it'll all fit reasonably well. i'm x2890 at school if you wanna give me a buzz sometime.

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

A quick explanation about balanced signals....

The mic-looking receptacle is known as an XLR, for exchanging line receptacle. The three pins are high, low, and ground. Ground is easy, it's just that, a ground.

High is the normal signal.

Low is a copy of the normal signal, but reverse phase.

The idea is that any noise picked up along the cable run will cancel itself out at the other end when the Low signal is flipped back in phase and summed to the High signal.

Pretty nifty, eh?

Oh, and yes, you have to have equipment that has a balancing circuit to take advantage of this.

Now, it is possible to hook up a piece of balanced equipment to an unbalanced input, but you won't be getting the benefit of the balancing; it'll be unbalanced the whole way.