Balanced Inputs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnCro, Feb 3, 2003.

1. JohnCro

JohnCro Extra

What are the advantages of using an amp/processor with Balanced Inputs (XLR) over RCA type inputs?
    Thanks

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

One of the benefits is a lower noise floor. Some people say that with an all balanced topography in their system, the sound is more real.

I cant tell you from personal experience.

3. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

John,

I'm not an expert and my ears aren't what they were but I can't hear any difference. I recently auditioned and purchased a B&K Reference 50, in all 3 auditions (different dealer each time) each Ref 50 was connected via balanced connections. My amp doesn't have them so I used RCA's, I was kind of surprised to find the Ref 50 sounded better in my house than the dealers rooms.

Just my $.02.

4. Seth V

Seth V Stunt Coordinator

JohnCro,

Some of the advantages of using Balanced XLR's is that their not prone to picking up interference, and they provide you with a 3 db volume increase. And also they are easier to disconnect if you ever have to. I personaly feel that they added an audible increase in performance over using RCA's IMHO.

SV

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It all depends on whether or not the pre-amp and amp have true balanced topography from stem to stern. If not, the benefits are small to none at all depending on implementation.

The Sherbourn amps, for example, have XLR inputs, but the amp itself is not a fully balanced design.

There are manufacturers out there that do correctly apply pro-grade balanced designs to the circuitry.

Krell does, I believe Anthem does, B.A.T. and Integra Research do, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Theta, Proceed, Bryston, ATI (they have a new fully balanced line of products coming out), Parasound's Halo line, etc.

Dan

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    A lot of information being offered on this thread – some good, some not so good.

7. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

When I moved from RCA to balanced inputs on my Anthem amp, I experienced a 6dB increase in volume on all channels. I spoke to Anthem technical support about this and they told me to expect a 6dB gain in output, the doubling effect of the signal spanning across + to - instead of just signal to ground. My SPL meter measured exactly 6dB gain, precisely as predicted.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    See discussion on pro vs. consumer signal levels in my previous post.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt