What's new

Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings - REVIEW (pics) (1 Viewer)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Concerning the changed dialogue...the only copy of this film I ever had was an old Betamax copy recorded off of network tv and the modified ending was how my copy ended.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Maybe it's one of those things where different prints of the film had different narrations? I remember watching LOTR on fox way back in the 80's and hearing the ending I know, I remember it distinctly because it made me think there must be sequel, which sadly there wasn't. Maybe the change was made when people started to get angry that only 1 and a hlf books were covered. This new ending, while sounding hokier, does make the ending seem a little more final than the original whihc mkes you think a second film is on the way. Anyways, just one of those interesting film things I guess.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!
lotrsig.jpg

[Edited last by Geoffrey_A on September 06, 2001 at 07:45 PM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm not in a position myself to know which ending was originally shown in theatres (or if both were, as someone suggested, on different prints).
It's hard to know if the VHS ending is the original one shown in theatres, or if the DVD is the restored original ending, or if both were shown in theatres at some time or another.
However...
My mother-in-law saw LoTR in the theatres. My wife just called her and asked her "When you first saw the VHS, did you think at the time that there was anything different about the ending?". Her mom VERY QUICKLY AND SURELY replied that she was certain that she saw the same ending on VHS that she saw in the theatre, because in both cases it got her thinking about the sequel.
When my wife then read here the DVD ending, she said that she was dead certain that she's never heard that one before.
So, that's her outlook on this. Is this going to be as bad as it being Non-OAR? After all, it may not be what was presented in theatres! But...is it enough to really matter?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I never saw the movie in the theater, but my dad recorded it off of HBO or Showtime or one of the pay movie channels when I was pretty young on Beta. So it was probably on its first cable TV run and it had the ending which is on the DVD. So if it wasn't the original ending , then it was changed changed early on. Its funny, I thought it was strange that they said evil was driven forever from Middle Earth because I knew the movie didn't cover the whole trilogy but I liked the ending nonetheless. When I bought the VHS copy a few years ago I was pissed of that the narration was different! I still think it doesn't sound professional, it sounds like a temporary track to me, but I supposed it could have been mastered poorly or the source could have been damaged for the VHS release. So I guess it just depends on which version you heard first.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
So where is the Theatrical Trailer that is advertised on the back of the snapper???????
------------------
Link Removed

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Apparently it is nowhere on the disc. There have been several threads asking the question "where is the trailer", and noone has found it yet. Same question went unanswered on http://WWW.THEONERING.NET
Oh, well...it's still a good transfer. "The Play's The Thing".
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Also, this is widescreen, but according to those screenshot, it is improperly framed at 1.78:1 rather than 1.85:1. Only an approximate 4 percent loss of horizontal image information, but still not in OAR. Warner did the same thing with Batman.
Don't worry, you're not losing any information. LOTR and Batman were both filmed open matte, so the DVD's are basically matted. It's only a .07 difference, and you'd just get a few more lines of resolution blocked off.
This is why these open matte films get a "This version is matted" line on the box. Super-35 films are panned & scanned differently as you can tell by the S-35 demo on the T-2: UE DVD.
I'm happy, however, that LOTR got the matted treatment...the anamorphic enhancing makes movies look so much better. I might get this with Fritz the Cat when MGM releases that disc.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that the subtitles correctly give the name 'Saruman' even when the characters are erroneously saying 'Aruman'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks