Bakshi's 'Fire & Ice' out now on region 2 DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve Christou, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Ralph Bakshi's Fire & Ice is out on region 2 DVD, my copy should arrive tomorrow, cost me just £5.99! I've looked at the box, it has the original Frazetta artwork on the cover, and the film is anamorphic widescreen, 16/9 ratio. 2.0 surround sound. The region 1 release can't be far behind. I hope Bakshi's Wizards is next.

[​IMG]

2. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

What site did you order this from? I just got an all region capable player and have been trying to decided what to get first. This could be the one...

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Play.com, they list it as fullscreen, but I've already looked at the back of the box and it had widescreen 1.85, just hope it's not a mistake, I'll soon find out.

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Good for you, but this sucks. I want fire and ice for region 1 now! I would also love to have wizards.........

Let us know how the PQ is...

R~

5. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

DOH! It looks like Play.com does not ship to the U.S. Any other suggestions???

EDIT: Nevermind, I ordered it through Amazon. Quick question: How much is 11.04 in US dollars?

Also, what would 14.99 euro be?

6. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

They have it at Amazon.co.uk, but it is a bit more expensive £9.99

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    £11.04 is $17.75. 14.99 euro is $16.91.

Yeah I'm looking forward to checking this out, always been a fan of Bakshi's animation, and this is one of his best, there's extremely effective use of rotoscoping in Fire & Ice, and it's very violent for a PG movie. A Frazetta painting in motion.

8. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I ordered a copy from BlackStar for £4.99 (they ship to the US). The manufacturer's website states that the disc is 16:9 but whoever gets it first will have to chime in and confirm. There's a non-anamorphic 1.66:1 R4 disc out as well so there may or may not be issues with cropping on the R2 disc. At this price I'm just hoping for a decent enough presentation.

9. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

I think Fire & Ice is Bakshi's most consistently-animated film, and it was a big favorite of mine when I was a kid. (That girl in the string bikini probably sent me into puberty early.) Steve, I agree with you that the rotoscoping is very well done here. A lot of people criticize Bakshi for using rotoscoping at all, but Disney used it back in Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, and it was very effectively used recently in Waking Life. Some of Bakshi's movies use rotoscoping a little inconsistently (Lord of the Rings, toward the end), but I think Fire & Ice has a veneer of quality and it holds up as one of his best.

I ordered the Dutch DVD of this film over a month ago and I'm still waiting for it--the first copy was lost in the mail and the second is hopefully coming now. But I almost wish I'd waited for the Region 2 version. And it definitely deserves a Region 1 release. I think, eventually, it'll come.

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou

11. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

PLAY.com have got the R2 version of this but it's listed as fullscreen.

12. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

>>PLAY.com have got the R2 version of this but it's listed as fullscreen. >>

Oops!! I guess I should have read the thread closer as someone has said this already. Sorry! its a bit early in the morning!

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Checked it out this morning, the film is in anamorphic 1.85 ratio, 2 channel stereo sound.

Picture quality is very good for this 20 year old film, much better than my old video tape, brighter picture and bolder colors, stereo sound was okay, shame it hasn't been remixed in 5.1, but beggars can't be choosers.

I compared a scene with my full screen video copy and they did lop off a bit of the top and bottom to give it that widescreen effect, so you see more of the picture on the video copy than on dvd, which isn't saying much considering the quality difference. I'll watch the dvd tonight and see how effective this re-formatting is.

No extras whatsoever, not even a trailer, static menus.
    Well I'm just happy this is finally on digital disc.

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Does anyone know what the OAR of this is? It seems odd to have done full frame animation and then matte it down; if no additional info is on the sides this may be zoomboxed.

I never saw this in theaters so I can't be any help here. But my best recollection of Wizards (25 years old now, though) was that it was shown theatrically in full frame.

15. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I never did a comparison of the Aussie R4 disc to the LD, but the 1.66 framing on the R4 DVD seemed pretty comfortable to me. I'd bet it was likely a 1.33 or 1.66 OAR.