What's new

Bah! Prostates (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

What a load of cr@p. 5-7 years minimum security hardly sounds enough for what this piece of sh*t did to you. And he's escaped? Sheesh. And 30 felony convictions as a minor? Did the state really really think that poor little defendant was rehabilitated, and that he should be allowed into civilised society?

"Father in law"? What girl was dumb enough to marry this creep?

Oh well. Sorry for ranting, just the injustice of it all seems so appalling. But I'm glad you're fine, and have a nice shiny smile to boot :D

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Caffeine is one of the worst things you could do to your prostate. Alcohol and spicy foods are two others.

It is not uncommon for 30+ old males to develop prostate problems. Not prostate enlargement but more of a irritation of the prostate or prostate infections. Chances are if you drink heavily, intake lots of caffeine and eat those extra hot buffalo wings at the wee hours after/before bar night, your prostate is begging for mercy.

I ditched caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol for a month and the change was amazing. Much better urine flow and not nearly as frequent urge to go. Not to speak of much better sex life, harder erections and increased pleasure. Not sure if you all wanted to hear that last part but it's one of those things good to know about your prostate. I'm 33 BTW.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK... I definitely didn't need to hear that either :D.

Seriously though, interesting tidbits - to be confirmed by some reading on the topic.

--
H

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Ditching caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol was at my doctors advice. I took it and it worked.

From http://www.healingpeople.com/ht/inde...386&Itemid=147. It's the first site I got from Google so don't blame me if they are selling products... :)

PROSTATE PROBLEMS, especially enlarged prostate
Avoid alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods, weight gain, smoking, and high animal fat. All men over age 50, or those with prostate symptoms earlier, should take Aqua Male Power( as recommended on the bottle. Men may also use Aqua Power IV).

And some other Googled topics.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Do a search on a thread I started on forgiveness and you'll learn something about Chris that is more incredible than the injuries he sustained.

Sorry to hear about the prostate problems. I've seen my dad go through a lion's share of procedures for enlarged prostate and it's a great reminder to take care of myself. Fortunately, all the no-nos are already things I avoid.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Eh, he's back in prison now. I was getting small checks from him for his part in the trial, then it stopped.. so I called the county prosecutor... he beat up his new girlfriend bad (and was apparently drugged when he did it) and thus, back into the klinker.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the Saw Palmetto. After taking it for a while it seemed to relieve the pain. Nothing else the urologist prescribed helped.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Anyone know of any studies done regading doing your kegel excercises to keep prostate issues at bay? I know it's a shot in the dark but something tells me that doing your kegels regularly can help...:confused:

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Drew-

You want advice that is really truthful and comes from every doctor I've spoken to?

(1) Lower your caffeine. (I've set mine to zero for the last year)
(2) Eat a better, more ruffage oriented diet, and increase your intake of tomatoes a good deal.
(3) Try to have sex or orgasm daily (preferred) or more frequently if on a sporadic schedule. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4676076/)
(4) Lower your intake of fatty-milk (ie, switch to 2% or Skim)
(5) There are excercises that can be performed, but I won't go into them here for the squick nature, for people who have developed problems with #3, which involve a process called "milking". You can look that one up on your own.

Dependant on your condition, they will go over these with you and talk to you about what works best & worst and faces the reality of your situation.

In my case, for example, most of it stems back to a prior life injury and long series of drugs I took for it (prescribed) which had some side effects. As a result, we've tried to work with doctors on a solution that effectively answers the discomfort through medicine, excercise, routine, and diet.

Still a work in progress.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Thanks Chris...I will be 39 in august so I'm taking this stuff seriously.

Just found this on the Journal Of Clinical Oncology:

One specific treatment for prostate cancer brought to the “research forefront” is sunshine. According to a study, men with higher levels of vitamin D (typically obtained through sunshine exposure) in their blood were half as likely to develop aggressive forms of prostate cancer than those with lower amounts. Experiments also suggested vitamin D inhibits cell growth.

Yet despite sunshine’s apparent health benefits, doctors are not entirely comfortable with prescribing the “sunshine vitamin,” though many see little harm in getting the 15 minutes of exposure time a day the body needs to make enough of this vital nutrient. (It is recommended people get a daily vitamin D amount of 400 international units.) Doctors warn, however, that there must be a “happy medium” to receiving vitamin D: Too little won’t do any good, while an overload can cause critical health problems such as skin cancer.

http://www.jco.org/cgi/content/full/23/3/407

Also, seems like EPA/DHA (not flax seed oil!) is important as well:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/80/1/204

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Drew-

You'll notice from the second article the notes on fatty acid, thus the dietary concern over milk, meat products & preparation, etc.

Really, addressing this is important for men (anyone over 30) as Prostate Cancer & problems are detected so late in most men because they won't go to a doctor; prostatitis (continued infection and enlargement of the prostate) affects a great number of men who do nothing about it and end up with much greater problems.

Frequent excercise, better diet, more sexual activity, all are great benefits in helping to lower the life risk and can be lifesavers.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Geez. A doctor recommended something fun for a change. Sounds too good to be true.

--

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I had a bout of Prostitis when I was 30...I'm 34 now and trust me you do not want to go through that. I was in so much pain that I went to the hospital and after the customary STD check and 9...yes 9 different rectal exams I finally was diagnosed. it was cleared up pretty quickly with Floxin and ever since then I have been a religious water drinker and haven't had any other instances.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

If you get down to it being a problem, though, where this is recommended for you, it's not as "fun" as you'd think. While both uncomfortable, it's often difficult for many men to have any output (orgasm). It's a lot like having "dry heaves".

This sounds funny; and lots of people love to brag about things like "baby, I can go all night" but trust me, after about an hour or two, you're not having fun, it's more like you're trying to start a fire :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Gah. (sorry for not being on the board in a while) I've spent the last 3 weeks virtually laid up.. suddenly had terrible lower back/side pain; of course, they run all the standard battery of tests.. so now, I've got an enlargement that's freaking pinching a nerve they think.. so they put me on new drugs (Neurontin) and other things.. talk about being swept off the ground; did another round of standard liver tests to make sure I'm fairing OK there, bah. I'm just so rady to start feeling well again :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

True, but something to be wary of is the idea that a particular diet is all you need to change. Individual differences (other aspects of lifestyle and your genetic inheritance in particular) also play a crucial role in many diseases and conditions.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Absolutely. I wasn't saying that people should just change their diet. I just said that "You would be surprised how the diet of different cultures plays a significant role in Prostate cancer." because it does.

As you stated, genetics in particular can be a very important red flag. If your Father and Uncle both have prostate cancer... you should start getting DRE's and PSA work-ups on a regular basis. And start early!

The database that I currently work on has approximately 400 radical prostatectomy studies. Each one follows the patient from the first sign of cancer (+PSA or DRE), through surgery, and also includes all of their follow-up work. (Including any hormone or Radiation therapy that they may need.)

There are many trends to be found, diet and family history are just the beginning.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Amen to that, brother. I've taught health psychology for a number of years and patients' reluctance to present for treatment/assessment is fascinating as well as alarming. Denial is cancer's biggest friend and regular check-ups if you are in a high risk group won't give you cancer any more than going to the dentist's will give you tooth cavities. However, such visits may save your life. But the number of people who bury their head in the sand on this issue is depressing - they seem to think subconsciously that the visit will give them cancer. E.g. for a couple of years I went out with a woman whose family (both mom and dad's side) was riddled with cancer-prone genes. I used to beg her to go for smear tests, even promising her fancy meals, etc, if she'd go, but she obstinately refused. Just guess what she died of a few years later ...

Incidentally, I think it's worth mentioning that not all swellings of the prostate are cancerous (though they still need treatment).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks