What's new

BagEnd subs (1 Viewer)

Nikko

Agent
Real Name
Nikko Shelton
I know we here at hometheaterforum are big proponets of SVS and Hsu subs, but what about bad end subs? I have looked at them a bit, checked out their graphs and data, they look very good. The bass extension is great even to 16hz. I was looking at the INFRASUB-12 and INFRASUB-18. Sorta wondering what the advantage of the larger driver would be.

http://bagend.com/

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
We have an Infrasub-10 (I think) at work, mated with a pair of Tannoy... oh, what are they? Can't remember, off hand. It rumbles the room pretty well, though - there isn't anything with real distinction in the sound-track, though - mostly deep notes and rumbles, so trying to judge any aspect other than bass extention is difficult.

Leo

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Bass extension means nothing without the output level comparisons. All sealed subs have a shallow roll-off in the low bass, and can look good on paper but when this extension is 20-35 db's lower than the average in the music/soundtrack what do you really have? Bag End subs were farily innovative 10-15 years ago. The use a modified Linkwitz Transform circuit to drive the speaker below it's resonance. Combine this with the relatively short-throw drivers (stock Eminence) and the low powered AB amps - and you have a recipe for nice subwoofers but nothing that can compete with most competent designs today. It would take many multiples of the big Bag End subs to compete with the best commercial subs available today. If cost isn't a factor, then by all means look into them - just know what you are buying.
JP

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The Bag End InfraSub 18 is very good above about 25Hz, but can't keep up with large ported subs below 25Hz at high volume levels. If you are looking to get high output levels at the deepest frequencies, there are better choices at lower prices. But, if you listen to more music than movies, the Bag End could be very satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks