Bafta Surprise The Pianist best Film, Polanski Best Director

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, Feb 23, 2003.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Glad to see both The Pianist and Talk To Her won some awards at BAFTA:

4. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

5. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

WooHoo! Great job (A+), Baftas.

From Best Picture (The Pianist), Best Director (Roman Polanski, The Pianist), Best Foreign Film (Talk To Her), Best Original Screenplay (Talk To Her), Best Actor (Daniel Day Lewis, GONY ... no complain here even if my personal pick is Adrien Brody. Lewis is also magnificent in GONY), Best Actress (Nicole Kidman, The Hours ... she and Julianne Moore for Far From Heaven are my picks here. It is so great to see her winning over Halle Berry too, the 2001 Academy Awards Best Actress Winner for the same film, Monster's Ball.), Adapted Screenplay (Adaptation.), Best Supporting Actress (Catherine-Zeta Jones, Chicago ... probably the only surprise but not a real bad winner), Best Supporting Actor (Christopher Walken, CMIFYC ... good call!), Best Special Visusal Effects & Costume (LOTR:TTT), Best Cinematography & Production Design (Road To Perdition), Best Music (The Hours), Best Film of The Year - Public Vote (LOTR:TTT), Best Sound (Chicago) & Make-up (Frida ... not sure about this since I have'nt seen it yet), Baftas definitely got it almost all right!

Baftas selection of The Warrior (have'nt seen it) over The Hours as the best British film of 2002 is the most intriguing.

No comment on their choice of City of God for Best Editing since I have'nt seen it.

I wish the American Academy has members as smart & intelligent as the 2003 Baftas voters. [​IMG]

6. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

After seeing Talk to Her yesterday, I'm really happy to see it pick up some awards. Still haven't gotten a chance to see The Pianist yet, but congrats anyway.

8. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

9. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I had a chance to watch The Pianist last weekend, and I was a bit disappointed. I thought there would have been more actual piano playing--I think the fact he was a pianist meant very little to the story, other than

his reprieve at the end by the German soldier

I guess I wasn't expecting as much of a Schindler's List type of movie. I thought Life is Beautiful was a superior film, in that the running theme of comedy was used more effectively and pertinently than the pianist "theme" in The Pianist.

There was a scene in The Pianist that was memorable both for its content and for how it was presented. The scene I'm referring to was where the mother was distraught about how she had accidentally suffocated her child while trying to keep her quiet while the police were searching the house. The scene was done in narrative style rather than show it actually occurring. I was wondering whether such a scene would have been too powerful if it were acted out. Having become a parent recently, I can't even imagine the difficulty in that type of situation where you're trying to keep a baby from crying. If they hear you you're caught, and if you muffle too forcefully, you could kill the baby. As it turned out, she killed the baby and was caught anyway. How horrible.

10. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Polanski is a rapist and it's astonishing that any country would let him remain 'at large' (i.e., out of jail). It's also astonishing that any group would give him an award.

I saw the Pianist last year and IMO it was overrated. The title character wasn't very appealing - essentially he was very good at using other people's help to stay alive while contributing little in return to anyone else.

I don't blame anyone for doing what they have to to stay alive, but his story is hardly an inspiring one.

Yes, Brody's performance was aces, but IMO not the equal of Day-Lewis's performance in "Gangs". Day-Lewis deserved the oscar...