Baffle Step comp. for center channel speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

John Murphy's formula for determining the inductor value (L) relies on nominal resistance (R) and the width of the baffle (Wb).

L=R*Wb/1.021 (Wb in meters)

My question is for a center channel speaker, the width (in terms of meters) is quite larger then normal vertically oriented speakers, is this is the proper value to use, or should I be using the height of the center channel speaker?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I am only guessing here, but I would say the width. I would think you want to knock down whatever the greatest baffle distance is... horizontal. Also, since our ears are horizontal that would be the most audible as far as standing waves and such.

But then again.. that would only be my guess.

3. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

Maybe you can wind your own inductor, keep the crossover outside the box and mess with it untill it sounds right, then put it all together. Might be a pain in the butt though.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ron,

Pat's got nothing but time!

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I wish!

6. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Use the width. Actually I think you're going to find that the TV width is going to be closer for initial calculation purposes. Frankly, if I were to build a CC it would have a baffle width that matched the TV's so that there wouldn't be a step in the baffle step response.
    BTW, his formula assumes a 6dB roll off which is the free space value and requires a large room with the speaker many feet from any boundaries for it to work properly. 2-4dB depending on how close the speaker is to the back wall is more accurate, so like just about everything else in speaker design, you'll have to experiment. [​IMG]
    GM