Badly Placed Layer Changes!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H Ross, Jan 13, 2002.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Okay, I just finished watching "Evolution", an okay film with an okay transfer (and terrific DTS soundtrack), but....

Drat, what a dreadful layer break. I have a Sony S-7700 machine and it usually handles layer changes quickly and smoothly. However, when the layer change is followed immediately by dialogue, my player tends to clip a word or two at the start of the second layer.

This is because, when my player is released from pause, the picture resumes immediately but the sound usually takes a fraction of a second longer to come back. Usually this isn't a problem, but when there's dialogue involved... bye bye!

Evolution is the latest disc where this has happened. Other recent examples are "What Lies Beneath" (also Dreamworks) and "Chain Reaction".

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with this, or any other player? Is there anything I can do about it?

John

2. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Speaking of layer changes, I was speaking recently with a DVD producer I've gotten to know and was stunned to hear that most DVD authoring programs don't let the author choose the layer change point. I can't remember the full list of those that don't, but I remember he mentioned that Sonic Scenarist was one of the few that did allow the author to set the layer switch point.

This certainly explains some lousy layer switch locations!

-greg

3. Ivan Luk

Ivan Luk Agent

The "missing sound" syndrome on layer changes typically occurs not due to any fault of the player, but more the decoder/receiver/digital preamp. It can take anywhere from milliseconds to a couple of seconds to determine the format of the digital audio stream as the stream is interupted during the layer break.
    You would think think that layer changes would be chosen more judiciously. Better yet, they should be/can be hidden altogether without any interuption like in all the SuperBit DVD's. Alas, while I think seamless layer changes as one of the best features of the SuperBit series, few others seem to care about this... [​IMG]

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

...for the decoder issue, yes, my receiver goes into hunt, too. However, I can force the issue, and it'll stay in DTS without any trouble (of course, you loose the menu sounds, but...)
    Then it just has to hunt until it has reliable data.
    Leo Kerr
    [email protected]

5. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

yeah........there are a few DVDs that i have with bad layer changes. I thought it was very suprising that the Xbox plays right through them seamlessly.

so even thought i have a way of playing through them i do wish they would find some way of placing them in better places.

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Well my computer 16x DVD ROM breezes them too. I'm guess it's that which allows the X-Box to do this or it's that it buffers loads in memory.

Does the PS2 do this or are we looking at the X-Box doing something no other console yet achieves?

7. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

My friend across the street has a PS2 .......i will try out a DVD over there later today and check out how well it handles layer changes

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DVD/CD-Rom drives designed for data have much faster seek times than player decks. Therefore they handle layer changes MUCH faster

9. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I think the sound drop out is more a factor of the player than the receiver. I have tried two stand-alone players and a PC on my system, and only one of the stand-alone players exhibited this.

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've only watched a few DVDs on my PS2 but did notice the layer change each time (last time I was comparing the laserdisc and DVD of "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey", which has the layer change EXACTLY where side 1 of the laserdisc ends!!)

11. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

My old Yamaha S700 bought over 3 years ago still does layer changes better than my newer Tosh 6200. You just get used to them, the wife even knows what they are now, I love it when she explains it to a guest!

12. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I've got the S7700 coupled with the Sony TA-E9000ES.

The layer changes are entertaining to say the least.

I don't remember the movie, but several of my recent aquisitions have some nasty layer changes that through the combo for a loop.

The E9000ES clicks whenver it aquires a digital signal. Sounds like a machine gun sometimes, long pauses, etc.

My 7700/E9000ES were bought in '99.

13. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

BTW, what amused me when DVDs first came out was that the dual-layer format was originally conceived for laserdisc- instead of making them 2-sided, they were going to have the laser re-focus and read through one layer the way DVDs do. Everything old is new again!