What's new

Bad year to be famous... we lose "Wilson" (merged) (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
When I saw the name Wilson in quotes, I thought this thread would be about the demise of the volleyball from Castaway.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
61? Man....

Best costume I ever saw at a costume contest...

Guy walked in wearing a lumberjack-type shirt, fishing hat, vest, and mounted from his neck, a tiny fence blocking the lower part of his face. :)

Rest in peace Earl.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sad news. Everytime I walk by my co-workers desk, I peer over her cubical wall (with just my eyes) and say "Hiddey Ho, Good Neighbor!"When Home Improvement was in its prime, the cast was on a talk show and that's how Earl Hindman came out on stage. He had a small fence attached to his face :D.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
It amazed me how the show kept finding original ways to block half of Hindman's face when he wasn't in his backyard. I remember a scene in a restaurant where they kept switching between countertop items and Wilson's cup of coffee. Another scene was when he was taking part of the family on a plane ride. Hindman had a grossly oversized microphone on his headset!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There was one complex camera movement where he was in his house and they kept using stuff like lamps and people to block his face while the camera dollied across the set...pretty clever stuff.

My favorite "hide Wilsons face" moment was the halloween episode where he was in the hardware store and was dressed as a skeleton. They didn't have anything over his face, they just used the black and white makeup to hide it. :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Wilson's whole hiding-face schtick reminded me... (If I can sidetrack for a moment)

My Dad was a TV pioneer of sorts around here. He was with the first TV station in town, on the first day it went on the air. (Worked for the same station until the day he retired.)

Back in the days of live black-n-white TV, one of the shows he did was "Sports Talk" (or something like that). The "catch" of the show was that he walked into a "coffee shop" and proceeded to yap about sports with "Sam" the coffee-shop guy. A very informal sports program. The audience never saw "Sam's" face, just the back of his head as my Dad chatted with him.

One day, they made a bet on a game. The loser had to serve coffee to the winner. My dad lost, and would have to serve "Sam" coffee on the next show. I guess the town went wild, viewers getting exciting about FINALLY seeing what "Sam" looked like.

Turns out, "Sam" was in a "car-accident" the day before the show, and came in swathed in bandages. From the neck up. :laugh: They never did reveal his face. (Until years later.)

Sorry to side-track the discussion about "Wilson", I just had to share that story. :)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
So the year in celebrity deaths closes with Earl Hindman, huh?

I actually saw a picture of him in a local paper...He was filming a movie or TV show (I forget which) near me, and the paper had a picture of him. He looked just like what I thought he would.

R.I.P, Mr. Hindman.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And now to prepare for 2004's celebrity deaths.:frowning:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
And there goes the voice of Home Depot. Wilson W. Wilson, Jr.... a god to the eccentric intelligentsia everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks