What's new

Bad XBL Kits? (1 Viewer)

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Got my XBL kit today and went through the set-up process. Got to the subscription key part, and I have no key. First I was was putting in the CD-set # from the back of the package (they don't tell you anywhere that you have to scratch the hologram off). After sorting out the hologram business, I scratch it off to reveal "Leader / Trailer Label" hardly a 25-digit code. That won't work, there aren't even backslashes available on the on-screen keyboard at that point.

I've seen a few other people on different boards complaining about missing subscription keys. The usual response is "scratch the hologram." Bottom line is, I don't have a code. I emailed MS, I plan to call the support line tomorrow, but generally I'm feeling screwed

Anyone else run into this?

Ryan Witt

Agent
I, too, couldn't believe that they didn't obviously say, "scratch here for your code".

In fact, I ended up calling TS & felt like a dumb-ass when they told me to scratch the foil like a lottery ticket.

Anyone with Microsoft experience would have expected the key to be printed on top of the foil hologram.

WTF?

JayV

Supporting Actor
Philip, can you exchange it as defective? If you bought it at a brick and mortar you should be able to exchange (actually, I would insist upon it, as a missing code seems to be a clear defect).

I also didn't know about the scratch-off, called TS and then felt like a dumb-ass. Some observations:

1. The phonee put me on hold for about one minute when I told them "there is no code." Dunno what was going on, but it seemed like my problem was novel at that point on Friday. (This is the only observation relevant to your topic, Philip).

2. They picked up on the second ring. WTF? I thought I was calling tech support, Microsoft tech support. I expected to be on hold for twenty minutes, minimum.

Then they quickly and politely helped me with my problem. Aren't they supposed to give some wrong advice, mumble "it must be the your ISP or your local weather" and then hang up?

3. When she started talking about the scratch-off area, I was looking at the hologram and had a sinking feeling. To her credit she didn't hoot with derisive laughter when I explained what I did. She was very professional about it.

-j

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a bad kit. MS support told me to return it. They seemed a bit befuddled by my problem, even after I told them that I did scratch off the label and had nothing to show for it.

Now, my problem is that I ordered it from EBgames.com since I was going to be busy at work all week. I assume I can return an online item at a EB store, but who's to say the store will have kits in stock. And I'm not eager to send it back & wait for a replacement kit.

Maybe I'll just pick another copy up, and get a refund for this bad copy. For some strange reason, I had a feeling something like this would happen.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The whole scratch-off bit is silly. All they had to do is put a little 'scratch here' text next to the arrow. Very poor design.

Maury Alamin

Auditioning
My problem is with the headset. Everything is plugged in, nice and secure but I can't hear any witty online banter. I think my mic works because when I speak, the little speaker icon on Moto GP changes color. The green light is lit on the plug-in piece and the volume is turned up. Voice is also enabled in my account settings. Also, I know the earphone piece works because I plugged it into my phone and THAT works.

I called MS Tech Support and was also surprised by their quick response. The guy didn't know what was wrong and he wants me to send it to them and they'll send me a new one but I don't want to wait a couple of weeks or spend money on postage.

So I'll attempt to exchange it at GameStop tomorrow and hope that there won't be a problem seeing as how I've already set up an account with that subscription code.

Anyone else have a similar problem. I'm a little concerned because no one on these boards or the IGN boards seem to have this problem.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Took my bad copy back to EB. They don't take returns from the online store, and they were sold out anyway. Picked up the next to last XBL at a nearby Best Buy. This one works, which makes me wonder what the hell the bad one is supposed to be? Entirely different stuff in the Hologram scratch off area.

Now I just have to send the other one back for a credit refund.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I had a bad subscription number, or in actuality, no subscription number at all.

I scratched the hologram off to reveal "Leader / Trailer Label." To the right of the hologram were 3 sets of numbers and a bar code. No arrow pointing to the hologram or anything.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
My kit works but I'm having problems with the microphone. I can hear other people, although it does tend to go in and out, but I can't talk. When I go into the setup for Moto GP, the microphone works fine and I can hear my voice. However, once I get into a game, I can't hear myself at all. I'm thinking that maybe there's a problem because I'm using an SMC router that's not specifically supported. Some people on the XBox Live forums said to turn on DMZ in my router but I'm not sure if that'll work. I'm going to be picking up a new wireless router tomorrow so hopefully that'll take care of it.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Resurrecting this thread 'cause I'm having my own XBL trouble...
I got XBL for XMas and just got it hooked up at my apt this week. I'm using a Lynksys Router (alreayd checked the webpage to make sure microsoft have Ok'ed it - and they have). I can connect to Live with no problems at all, but I have yet to hear *any* talking in-game.
I have the headset hooked up right, the greenlight is on and the volume is up. Whats wrong? The only game I have for XBL is MechAssault, is there anyway to check to see if the headset it working - like a spot where I should be able to hear myself talking?
I called tech support and I got probably the most helpful customer service guy I've ever gotten on any tech support line - unfortunatly my cell phone suddenly turned off mid-convo :angry: . Anyway, I did what he said and checked the MTU settings on my router, and it was set above the 1462 limit he told me.
Any help / suggestions / whatever welcome!
JQ

Joe michaels

Second Unit
One way you can test the headset is to go into the XBOX live disc version of WHacked and play with the voice masking and you should hear yourself through the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks