What's new

Bad use of 16:9 by DVDs makes them look scrappy... (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Okay, I have a 16:9 set and the thing that peeves me most is a lack of 16:9 in the extras on DVDs that are otherwise anamorphic anyway:
Good::D
Star Wars Episode I, Seven SE, Spaced (UK sit com): All extras on these discs are anamorphic 16:9 - documentaries, outtakes, deleted scenes, everything!
This means I do not have to reach for my TV remote and constantly switch through the modes.
B A D::angry:
X-Men: you can branch in the deleted scenes. Anamorphic movie but non-anamorphic deleted scenes makes this a mess!
Godfather disc 5: I can understand if the contemporary docus weren't filmed 16:9 but the deleted scenes should have been matted and made anamorphic. Otherwise this is just going to feed the fire of P&S "We're losing picture" peeps.
When Harry Met Sally, Stand By Me: Both of these have full-frame contemporary featurettes. Why? Film it in 16:9 - the format of the future. Not only that, WHMS has open matte clips from the movie in it too!
The Matrix: Like X-Men, the Follow the White Rabbit feature is a joke on 16:9 because the behind the scenes stuff hasn't been matted to 16:9 anamorphic, meaning you need to flick back and forth on the TV if you watch this version.
Anyone else feel this has to stop?
:thumbsdown: :angry:

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Theo - try connecting your TV by RGB SCART. It'll save you many remote control batteries!
But I agree. If only Anchor Bay ruled the world. :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I don't believe mine does RGB SCART. The TV can be made to switch: the docu on The Living Daylights about Ian Fleming swtiched automatically to 4:3 and there's no way the TV could have known it wasn't anamorphic so I guess there are tags. If they used these...

The problem is they obviously view the DVD on a 4:3 set only where this isn't a problem. Even if you are taking an anamorphic transfer of a bad image, why not do it? Why get an entire beautifully transferred movie and then all the deleted scenes are non-anamorphic (even if they're not branched in)?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Guys you just hit a very sensitive nerve!
NOTHING seems to p*ss me off more some days that speial features and delete scenes that are not anamorphic. It is evil.
First Theo unfortunaltely not all of Episode 1 is anamorphic. Trailers are and it made me happy but hen I saw the Dual of the Fates video and IT IS NOT!!! To add insult to injusy it is 1.78:1 Aspect Ratio !!!:angry:
Same kick in the teeth in The Exorcist. The movie is anamorphic but documentary is not yet it is 1.78:1 Aspect Ratio!!! :angry:
How many :angry: can I put on one post.
Philip AMEN!!! Anchor Bay is a DVD Deity! That's it I am just buying the darn company.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I've yet to see a music video that is anamorphic. (I'm not counting the "video" on Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman, for obvious reasons.)
Me, Myself, and Irene (yes, shamefully, I own this awful movie) also uses extended branching for its non-anamorphic deleted scenes. My Sony VVega KV-36FS12 doesn't automatically make the change from 16x9 to 4x3, but I don't watch enough extended branching discs of this variety for it to be a real annoyance.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
But it shouldn't happen at all! Well unless they state Seamed Branching on the packing - that's what it is on my TV, after all. Seamless my arse...;)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
This is why I love my Panasonic RP91 DVD player, with it's scaling feature. My Pioneer Elite 16:9 TV stays in FULL mode and the player stays in progressive scan mode and automatically scales any non-anamorphic extras correctly, including putting black bars on the sides of fullscreen 4:3 material. No switching TV modes manually. Occasionally this can get tripped up by an improperly flagged DVD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
We better all write to make sure the our beloved LOTR DVD has *16x9* deleted scenes and extras!!!!

-dave

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I can understand your frustration, fellas, but let's face it: we still live in a 4:3 world, at least in the US. I'm happy that the films themselves are anamorphic. Right now, what concerns me most is keeping OAR presentations at all. We're more likely to lose that before we get anamorphic supplements.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but you gotta admit that it *might* matter if those suppliments can be incorporated into the film *during* the feature via seamless branching.

Not to mention, if a suppliment is 1.78:1 in aspect ratio...then it's letterboxed so it's not formatted for a "4x3 world" already...why not add the resolution of a 16x9 transfer in such a case?

4x3 full-frame suppliments, if detached and on their own (not plugged into the film during seamless branching) aren't so bad. But 1.78:1 4x3 lbxed documentaries are a slap in the face!

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks