bad to play loud music thru center channel on home stereo?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by scottAtah, Nov 23, 2004.

1. scottAtah

scottAtah Extra

I dunno if it's true or not, but mine just arrived today and i wanna get this straight. I listen to music in 6 channel sometimes....someone told me they blew there center channel by playing loud music thru it (or it included).

Is that possible, should i never play loud music while in theatre mode or anything other than stereo?

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

How loud is loud? What amp are you using? Size of the room?
    Actual dB output at 1M? Does it start to sound compressed?

You'll still blow the L/R speakers in stereo past a certain level. Even if you have megawatts of power and speakers capable of high sound pressure levels. Unless you have a clipping feature (Nad soft clip) even then probably still possible.

3. scottAtah

scottAtah Extra

well now you're beyond my knowledge/capabilities.

I probably shoulda listed this all first time around, my bad - here's what i'm using.

RECEIVER: Panasonic SA-XR50 (100x6)
    FRONTS: Athena AS-F2
    CENTER: Athena AS-C1
    SURROUND: crappy speakers that can i threw in cause i could
    SUB: Paradigm PW-2200

It's all in a pretty small room (my bedroom - tough to fit everything in here (including a couch and computer)

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It's only bad if you are pushing it to distortion, and this applies to ALL speakers, not just your center.

5. Kurt Charnoski

Remember the center is designed to be a workhorse in HT so listening to load music won't hurt a thing except maybe your ears . [​IMG] Rock on Dude.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Just keep an ear out for bottoming the drivers. I had a friend who wondered why his center channel "knocked" when he played a certain CD too loud. (Kind of an electronic bass and drums thing.) We figured out that yes, he was playing it too loud. My center (same speaker) did the same thing. When we increased the crossover setting, the "knocking" stopped. A center channel rarely is going to be able to handle the volume or bass freqs that floorstanding (full range) mains can. On my system, I had to push the volume to about -10 dB ... for music, to get the knocking. I never listen to CDs that loud. I value what's left of my hearing. [​IMG]