What's new

Bad Taste: Single DVD or 2 Disc set? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I want to get this, but I'm wodering if the double disc set is worth it. If not, I'll just get the movie only DVD.

RicP

Screenwriter
Get the single disc version. The 2nd disc only has a 45 minute or so documentary - which while very entertaining, doesn't justify the almost $20 increase in price. There's an extra booklet in the 2 discer as well if that matters to you.

I have the single disc version and it's great.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
For $13 (online) you can get...
- 1.66:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- DD 5.1 EX, DTS 6.1 ES, and DD 2.0 Tracks
- Trailer
- Peter Jackson Bio
- All of this packaged in a nice keepcase with the alien giving the peace sign.
But for $24 (online), you can get...
- The same specs above.
- A 22 minute documentary of the film on a seperate disc.
- All of this packaged in the Fight Club-esque packaging with the alien giving both the peace sign and the middle finger.
If you're not that big a fan of the film, go for the single disc edition. If you love the film, get the two disc limited edition.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I own the Limited Edition 2-disc set but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 1-disc version. The documentary is cool but not worth the extra $9 or $10 if you aren't a huge fan of the movie.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I had not seen this movie before so I decided to purchase the 2 disc set when it came out. My logic was that even if I didn't like it I could sell it on ebay for alot more then what I payed becuase it was Limited Edition. But as it turns out I loved the movie and I'm glad that I now have the documentary and the joy that it is a Limited Edition. Thanks Anchor Bay

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
On the 2 disc set:
- All of this packaged in the Fight Club-esque packaging with the alien giving both the peace sign and the middle finger.
Actually the single disc version has this as well...simply remove the cover insert, flip it over, and reinsert it into the DVD keep case.
Viola, now the alien gives you the finger just like mother used to. :D

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
From what I've been told, that's not the peace symbol. Over in the country where it was filmed, that means the same thing as a middle finger in the USA. And like John said, you can just flip over the cover in the single disc version.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I love the film, so my viewpoint is decidely biased...

I'd say go for the two disc version. This is probably the worst release in terms of extras of all AB's limited editions, but the documentary is extremely interesting. If you have ever harbored any desire, however small, of making of movie, this documentary will show you it can be done. It's just amazing what can be done with zero budget.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I bought the 2 disc set online as well, and I haven't regretted it for a second. On paper the specifications for the 2 disc set is dissappointing, but I like Bad taste so much I was never in doubt I wanted the 2 disc set, and although the documentary is short, that is the only disappointing thing about it.
Content on most Anchor bay discs tend to appear limited, like one commentary and one documentary, compared to the laundry lists many studios print on the back of their special editions, but the actual content Anchor bay creates is almost always very good. (I can't recall any AB extras that weren't good, but I didn't want to sound too bombastic :D )

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I think it's in the liner notes or booklet somewhere that it talks about the whole finger thing.
When the film was released by Magnum Video in the US (known for really cheap splatter films and exploitaion flicks), retailers were sent a sticker shaped like one of the alien's fingers. They could then put the sticker on the box to make a peace sign if they chose not to offend anyone bothered by an alien shooting the bird.
I still have a Magnum VHS copy, but sadly do not have the sticker. Until I got the DVD I had no idea about the whole "finger sticker" thing. BTW, the artwork on the Magnum VHS cover is much cleaner and more in focus than the DVD insert.
However, in many countries, the bird actually is what we in the US call the "peace" or "V-For Victory" sign. This really must have given Nixon a headache when he came off Air Force One in some of those foreign countries with both outstretched arms in victory salute! :D
Can you imagine Kissenger to Nixon:
"Actually Mr. President, you just told the Prime Minister and every citizen of his nation to go f*ck themselves."

StephenA

Screenwriter
I've decided I'll get the 2 disc set when I scrounge up the money, even though I never seen the movie before. I loved Dead Alive(aka Braindead), and was told this movie was similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks