What's new

Bad Sub or poor performance ? (1 Viewer)

Roush2fast

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Hello all, first time here and I have a question. I just purchased a Klipsch Reference R-10sw for my PC setup. This replaced a Polk PSW10 that had a bad hum over 40% gain. The Polk sub was amazing and took everything I could throw at it without any issues. The new Klipsch does have decent output but defintely less than the Polk. The issue I am having is clipping ( if my terminology is correct ) at any significant volume. I have the gain on the sub at 50% and my EQ set at 0. Is this sub defective or is the output just too much? I would think it would be more capable than the polk when rms and peak is taken into consideration.

Please see the attached video *** warning it's a 35hz test tone if you have a sub connected it will be loud ***

I did attach the video but also uploaded it to youtube

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2269.MOV
    13.8 MB
Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you buy it used? That's just a steady 35Hz test tone? Because it certainly doesn't sound remotely correct if it is.

Roush2fast

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
This was a new product off Amazon.

When I recorded the sample there was output prior to the clipping. That is why I am asking if I am just pushing the sub beyond its capability or if anyone has experienced something similar and the end result was a defective product. Now when it is pushed, it completely cuts out then resumes with clipping. As long as I keep my EQ at neutral and the gain at 50% it functions which makes me question if my expectation is just too high.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To be honest, both these subs are rather low end. The Polk included. You might be expecting too much from this level of sub.

Roush2fast

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I don't mind investing in a better product. Do you have any recommendations for a powered 10 or 12?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don't mind investing in a better product. Do you have any recommendations for a powered 10 or 12?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you really want to push the sub to its limit, you might want to consider a sealed version, since they have a physical control of their movement, but have less maximum output. That would be the SVS SB-1000 vs, the PB-1000. That's still intro level, but quite good. The sky is the limit.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Guys, that SVS sub cost twice as much as he paid for the Klipsch!

If the Klipsch can’t outperform the Polk, which cost half as much, I’d say there’s probably an issue with the Klipsch. Hopefully you can exchange it?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For $200 less than the SVS you could consider one of these:

I have had two of them for a few years and they work well.

And yes, there is probably something wrong with that Klipsch sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks