What's new

bad sound/good sound (1 Viewer)

Ashli

Auditioning
Someone please help. We have been pulling our hair out for years. Our problem is that sometimes our sound is not very good(dry, non enveloping, clock radioish, dynamics not good, etc.) Sometimes it is excellent,especially late at night. We never know when we will be able to enjoy our high end system. Suggestions? Please help, it could save a marriage. We have checked all the connections and even tightened the ground wire on our electrical box. Over the years all components have been upgraded. Same problem. Components: anthem pre/pro and amp, Revel speakers, Pioneer Elite dv09 dvd player, Better Cables interconnects, Monster speakerwire, PS Audio powerport, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. Thanks so much. Ashli

Bob Sheen

Stunt Coordinator
I could be wrong but in my opinion any system can sound better or worse at different times. And be can be affected even by factors like atmospheric conditions. Such as in situations of very high humidity, etc....

..I know that my system seems to be affected. I don't think that it sways from clock "radioish" to "high end" but there are differences depending on when i listen to it.

Maybe there's less strain on your utilities power supply/demand at night. So the power that enters your house is better/cleaner at that time than during the middle of the day when power comsumption is high.

Maybe you need a power conditioninng device ?

Bob

Ashli

Auditioning
Thanks for your reply. Clock radioish is an exaggeration, but a large difference in sound quality sometimes. Yes, yesterday was very rainy and humid and my system sounded bad. Not full and clear but thin and directional. I do have an ultimate outlet ac cleaning device. Thanks again. Ashli

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Ashli,
It might be an effort, but getting a feel for the quality of your power feed (the shape of the waveform, noise on the line, voltage--at different points in the day) would be a good thing. Potentially you are simply have power problems. If you could qualify the nature of the problems, perhaps your utility company would clean things up a bit (am I too hopeful here? :) ).
Alternately, since you like PS Audio gear you might try a PowerPlant and see if it helps things any. Something similar (but more efficient) would be the Exact Power EP-15 (from AV123.com at http://www.av123.com/xp.shtml#). Here are some reviews from the Secrets site:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Most of these products do have liberal return policies, so they might be worth a try in your situation.
Regards,
Mike

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would agree that you should try and measure the differences (i.e. check for power quality when the system is 'good' and 'bad'). One thing that affects the perceived sound is you... your current mental state (happy, angry, how awake you are, etc.). By measuring differences you can assure yourself that there is an actual system problem...

Ashli

Auditioning
Thanks people for your help. I realize that things can sound different depending on many variables as you state, but the difference in my sound is staggering in my opinion. Will check my power out more carefully and maybe give the ep15 an audition.

Thanks again.

Ashli

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks