Bad Room for bass, How to fix?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wes, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    My nephew built a sub I suggested (a Dayton DVC 15" with a Rythmic 350w amp). He called me up and stated it was not working to good so I hauled my 15" Quatro sub down there that works great in my theater and found they both fall on their face in his room. He has a Great Room with many weird angles that must be killing the bass. I also have a Great Room in my house that I run a 10"er in it that works fine so I don’t think its a room size issue.

What can be done to solve this problem, does a Feed Back Destroyer solve this?

Thanks for your help!

Wes

2. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

You need to get a RS meter and some test tones and see what the frequency response is to see what is going on. Then if possible move it to different locations. Then you can always add a BFD to help.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s pretty well universally accepted that corner placement gives you the highest output and lowest extension, so I’d go with corner placement in a Great Room, as you need all the output and extension you can get in a large room. The peaks and valleys can be smoothed out with the Behringer.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

Ive read posts here that say bass traps help with reflecting sound waves. no experience witht them myself though.

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    The problem is there is no corner what so ever to place a sub. The Fire Place takes up the only possible corner so we tried it in two places and neither one produces any remotely close to what I get in my theater. I have never heard a sub cancel it self out like this before.
    There is only one spot half way into the room next to the couch that has any Wife acceptance.

Thanks so far for the replies.

Wes

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It isn’t necessarily the sub “canceling” itself out – it may well be that the totally space is just more than the sub can handle (of course, the corner situation isn’t helping much). For instance, my living room opens to a couple of hallways, the kitchen and the dining room. The total acoustical space is 6200 cubic ft., and my two DIY 12” Shivas in sealed boxes are barely able to get the job done with demanding movies.

The BFD can certainly smooth the sub’s response, but it won’t “re-acquire” lost output.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt