Bad Packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Nick

Nick Second Unit

Am I the only one who think they those who designed the Special collection packaging for the DVD are idiot.

I just picked up "Meet Joe Black" the Ultimate edition and was really pissed at how the package looks. If I watch that DVD more than 10 the cover will break and fall off. What were they thinking ?... HELLO !!!!. Another bad one is "Close encounter of the third kind" I'm just gonna stop buying that stupid Collector Edition.

Why can't they make it Universal ? They should all take a look at "Pearl harbor" case. Now that should be call special Edition.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Studios should pay more attention to what's on the disc than what the disc is in.

Content first, packaging last.

IMO, everything should come in a Snapper (for single discs) or a gatefold case like the Fight Club/Citizen Kane case (for 2 discs).

I have yet to recieve a disc in these cases with any damage done to the disc. Yes, both cases are not as durable, but the hubs stay in one piece (I HATE BROKEN HUBS! I don't want a scratched up disc!)

Most of my discs are in Snappers and none are broken.

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I avoid buying anything in cardboard, I don't care what's inside it. That doesn't go for pizza. I will make occasional exceptions, but I hate it when I do.

5. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

and just to put in the total opposite of Mr. Ulmer, I really love the cardboard special edition packages. They standout and make the DVD feel like a true collector's edition. They allow the imagination of the film maker to be expanded. In short.. They rock!

6. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I HATE CARDBOARD

7. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I used to find myself fretting over packaging and the way the dvd cases looked but then realized that what I really care about like others above have stated is whether the DVD is not scratched and if it works well and all that. I mean if it is a good movie and has good extras I am not going to pass it up because I would prefer it be in plastic or cardboard or be more shiny. And besides the array of case types creates variety in my collection that I find myself enjoying when I stare at them with a smile on my face, which many of us must do since we all have had strong feelings and opinions about those darn cases from time to time.

8. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I hate snappers because their different shape makes them more difficult to store. I think every DVD should come in plastic keep cases.

9. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Bill:

I understand and sympathize with that problem caused by differnt case types. The snappers stick out more than the keep cases so it would be nice to have all one style for reasons such as storage but as I have not properly stored mine yet I am not grumbling too much about it.

Does anyone know the reason for studios choosing certian styles of packaging over others? I don't really understand why they would choose the snapper over the keep. Maybe stuck in a contract with the packaging company?

10. Nick

Nick Second Unit

I don't understand why they don't make it universal like audio cd cases.

I was thinking of getting American Pie 2 but it looks like the case is the same as Meet Joe Black. I'll pass on that.

11. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

12. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I hate snappers!!!!!!!!

13. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I noticed my ST II: TWOK one bad thing I had a hell of a time getting the disk out of the hub. Did anyone else notice this?

14. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

i do agree that the content is far more important than packaging. personally, i couldn't care less if DVDs came in brown paper bags, but perhaps i don't want to be giving warner any ideas for their next generation of packaging [​IMG]
    i see nobody has mentioned the JFK 2 disc "SNAPPER" special edition, where the second disc came in a paper pouch. now that was the hilight of packaging design. no offense to warner, but did they go to the local high school and get some of the kiddies to design this one. bit of a head scratcher.

15. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I still hate snappers!

16. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I definitely prefer amaray style keepcases for all releases, including multi-disc sets.

17. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

i love cardboard ... can't get enough of it [​IMG]

18. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Unlike the majority, I really do not care about the packaging. I care more about picture quality, audio quality, and of course the overall quality of the film presentation on the DVD. I take exceptional care of my DVDs so the chances of the package breaking or coming apart are nil.

Regarding Meet Joe Black, I thought its packaging was very attractive.

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

How hard is it to move a DVD from a snapper to an Amray. I mean there is no pull out label. What do you do, trim the cardboard so it will fit in the sleeve, I guess?

20. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Personally I love the snappers as well, I seriously think the artwork looks a lot better on a snapper than on most keepcases, particularly after the keepcase have got that slightly scratched, rough surface. Snappers do not suffer this, even in a bookshelf.