What's new

Bad news for Nirvana fans (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm not exactly sure how accurate this is, but here's what I've heard:
Nirvan planned to release some sort of box set. I don't know what was supposed to be on it (rarities or singles or whatever), but obviously there is a huge market for a Nirvana box set.
However, Courtney Love has some legal claim over the creative output of the band, supposedly as the inheritor of Kurt Cobain's "estate." As of now, she refuses to have the set released. I don't know why. There is now supposed to be some sort of legal battle over the legal rights over the musical property.
So, basically, there is not release because of this chick.
I admittedly know (and care) little for Nirvana, but last time I checked, she was not in the band. She wrote no songs, played no instrument.
Didn't something similar happend with Yoko and the Beatles?
What the heck is wrong with this country? Why do these women have a say? I suppose they are "representing" their dead husbands, which I think is absurd. Dead people can't be represented- they're dead!
So, Nirvana fans, here's something all of us can get together and be angry about.;)

KrisM

Second Unit
This is old news that kind of becomes new news every once and awhile. Basically Courtney and the rest of Nirvana agreed to work together after Kurt's death. I think the big problem now is that there is a song(I can't remember the title) that the band wanted to put on the box set. Courtney doesn't want it on the box set. She wants to wait to put it out at a later date. I also read awhile back that she was getting personal. She said something to the effect that Kurt Cobain was Nirvana and the others didn't matter and were only along for the ride. I like Nirvana but I admit I'm not the biggest fan. Maybe somebody who is could fill in the blanks.

Regards

KrisM

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I don't think she wants it out at a later date - she's withholding the okay until she gets more control over the material of the band.
It's a tricky one, really. For whatever reason, she has joint control of Nirvana alongside Novoselic and Grohl.
She has made the point that Grohl was their sixth (?) drummer - certainly he is not on Bleach - and generally that the band changed a lot, the nexus being Kurt's and his songs.
Because she and their kid are his family she seems to believe that she should have more control. I am really not sure what to make of it. It's not my fight and I'd rather just see them release the bloody boxed set.
Really the guys should put the box out and then flood the MP3 sites with the extra song if they can. Courtney's already made a big hoo-haa about how great MP3 is (IIRC) so she's sort of hanged herself in that situation!:D

Ike

Screenwriter
She has made the point that Grohl was their sixth (?) drummer - certainly he is not on Bleach - and generally that the band changed a lot, the nexus being Kurt's and his songs.
But he was a great drummer. On some of those songs I find myself saying that the drums are really great. Chad Channing couldn't even play all the songs on Bleach, and they had a studio musician come in for a couple of the songs. And even if it was a sheer technicality that he was the drummer when they blew up, it still entitles him to more control.

From what I've heard, the song (You Know Your Right, isn't it called?) is a direct attack (response) on Courtney, thus her hesitation to release it. I never understood why she was so maligned, but now I'm getting it. I think Thurston Moore put it best on VH1 (This is so not a direct quote, I don't know where to get one): "Love or hate Courtney, nothing will stop her."

Ike

Screenwriter
I wish I had the quote right. It's totally off. Oh well, it's much funnier when coming from droll Thurston...

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I really don't know anything about this stuff. I like the music and I've liked quite a number of Hole tracks. I guess, going by interviews and things, I want to give Courtney the benefit of the doubt. However, it does seem she has too much control here.

TimDoss

Second Unit
"Bad news for Nirvana fans"... whew!, I thought you were going to tell us that the lead

singer died or something.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Money is the real issue here, aside from the posturing about who loved Kurt more.

It's about riviving a basically dying...or dead...catalog, and a box set usually injects some interest to a newer generation of music buyers and music listeners. Depending how it's handled, this box set idea should make everyone happy here...especially the boys, who, I believe, are in a...ahem...holding pattern, of sorts.

Basically, the unofficial box sets have done a superb job in providing a higher rarity ratio, to ANYTHING the official label can imagine to release. The hardcore fans will get the official set and individual CD's when they come out,anyway, so there is a built-in number the Music Company is figuring into it's sales projections....so they will be happy.

It's a tough business...and while these "negotiations" look unseemly...it's just business, not personal.

MikeAW

Second Unit
This from the "At Your Service" section of the January issue of MOJO magazine, page 124....

"Nirvana bootlegs now outnumber those of The Beatles and Dylan on some record fair stalls."

The Fans have spoken !!!!!

MikeAW

Second Unit
Jack, The Beatles are Old School....and not jiggy with Music Collectors anymore! Big news!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hehe. I'll really need to start judging music by its age instead of its intrinsic quality so's I can stay jiggy. :)
And, aside from "some record fair stalls", I wouldn't wait around for the day that Nirvana is actually more collectible, Beatle fans are pretty obsessive. Not me, though, I just have some Yellow Submarine figures.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
You don't think the Anthologies might have put a leeeetle dent in the Beatles bootleg market? Naaah! ;)

MikeAW

Second Unit
Those who purchase boots also purchase official product

...and EMI and the Beatles know it and count on it! But you won't see them or the RIAA admitting it in public, anyway.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Obviously they do. Bootlegs are only the purchase of the serious fan. I just meant that you're far less likely to bother with a Beatles bootleg over another band if you already have the Anthologies.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Theo, the serious fan collects and is not just a casual purchaser of music...so multi-format releases...those with bonus tracks only, CD singles with live tracks only or special "Dance" remixes, UK or Japanese import only releases with bonus tracks, bonus tracks only if you purchase at Best Buy and bonus tracks only at Borders, a la the latest Yes CD release "Magnification", picture discs,

mini-lps, digipaks, 20bit remasters, 24bit remasters, promo copies, ETC....are sources that get the collector suckered in easily. It takes one to know one !

The Anthology Series were a joke when they were released, as these music items had been in circulation, underground, for at least a decade or more, at the time! I went straight to the promo copies of the Anthologies...to collect, not to listen. The Beatles are known to have actually solicit bootleggers in some instances...see McCartney regarding the "Wingspan" Project...just to get copies of music that their own Music Company, or other official sources like the BBC, didn't have in the vaults! Embarassing for them, I'm sure...hypocritical, very much so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks