Bad news for Better Off Dead availability?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Bunk, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

On my normal Tuesday morning trip to Best Buy, I of course looked for Better Off Dead. After searching for a few minutes, it was obvious it had not been put out, or sold out in the first 5 minutes.

I had someone check, and several stores in the area had not received theirs yet. But what's more disturbing is that the stores that did get them showed as only getting 2 copies.

Surely there will be more than 2 people per store that are looking for this title today. I wound up going across the street to Circuit City to find the only one copy on the shelf, which I bought. It was 19.99. I believe Best Buy was supposed to have it for 17.99, but the extra $2 is worth it (hey I just realized-$2!!!!!!).

Good luck to all those looking for this...

2. Kent Nelson

Kent Nelson Agent

Andrew - which BB? I work in Oak Brook and usually go to the Lombard BB on my lunch hour to pick up my Tuesday supply. I will hold off if this is the one you visited.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm planning on buying my copy at CompUSA which is advertising it for 14.99. Screw Worst Buy [​IMG]

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Kent,

I assume by Lombard you mean the one on Butterfield-I think it's Downers. But yes-that was the one.

I use the Best Buy site a lot to try and figure out general availability, and when I selected In Store Pickup, it had Butterfield, 75th and Lemont and Naperville all crossed out.

I work near the store in Melrose Park, and they were supposed to have 2 copies, but I didn't want to chance getting there in time so I checked Circuit City. I would recommend calling around first.

5. Brian LaRose

Brian LaRose Extra

Yep, I had the same problem today. Went in at 11:30, tried to figure out where it was. Finally had to ask an employee where it was. He looks at me and says, "We're sold out." I asked him, "You sold out in a an hour and a half?" He replied, "Yes, we only got ONE copy." ONE COPY? That was it?! Apparently, whomever is doing the buying at Best Buy doesn't feel that there is quite the demand for Better Off Dead. Guess we'll have to start chasing the buyers on our bikes yelling, "I want my Better Off Dead!" I had to go over to Borders to get it, thankfully it was the same price as Best Buys.
    But I've noticed this with a few titles at Best Buy. The Coneheads for instance, five months after it came out it still wasn't available at any of the Best Buys in my area. They just weren't stocking it! Hopefully this gets better soon.

Brian La Rose

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was that way too. They didn't have it until about a month after it came out. Don't they realize that all these young people who saw these movies in the 80's are in the prime age range for DVD buyers now?

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Well, I can tell you this much. At work (Circuit City), we got three copies of Better Off Dead and two copies of Top Secret. Two of the three BOD were bought by employees as were both Top Secrets. Ah, one of the many perks of working in retail!!! [​IMG]

8. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

I can confirm this also.

Went to my local Best Buy in Highlands Ranch and they had 1 copy in the store and it wasn't on the shelf alphabetically. Luckily I looked in the neighborhood of where it should be and found it.

1 copy? Geez!

9. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I saw no copy on the cart at the BB in Dublin (they weren't put on shelves yet). They had 20 copies of "Top Secret!", though (well, 19 now) [​IMG].
    -Christian

10. Brian Olson

Brian Olson Extra

While I'm receiving copies of both Top Secret! and Better off Dead from DVDPlanet, I did notice that they are already out of stock of BoD, which could indicate a very low availablity of the disc in general.

11. Jim Ed

Jim Ed Agent

I ordered both of mine from DVD Empire. I was at the Lewisville BB during lunch and could not locate BOD or TS. I also saw a add for both of them at CompUsa, however they are out also. I think CompUSA is very wrong for contining to offer sales with low stock just to get you in the store. It has happened twice now, Harry Potter and these two films.

12. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I got tired of playing the low/no stock game when it comes to catalog titles at B&Ms. I ordered mine from DVD Empire, and that's why I got to watch it last night. [​IMG]

13. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I always pre-order catalog titles. My copy arrived yesterday from DVD Empire (along with Top Secret, Black Sheep, and The Big Bus.)

However, if you're a Costco member, I'd head there. I was picking up Amelie today (only $17.79) and they had an entire box of Better Off Deads and a box of Black Sheep-- both for $15.99.

14. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I had the same experience at BB and Circus City...

I am so sick of these two chains ignorance when it comes to inventory/ordering. I ended up paying full retail at MediaPlay which always has plenty of everything!!
    Im starting to think BB owns MediaPlay and forces consumers to shop there and pay their ridiculous prices for catalog titles...

BB has about 5000 copies of Black Knight, but not one copy of Better Off Dead!! I will refrain from any comments on this...I simply call this the "MTV Syndrome"...

Looks like I might actually go back to buying exclusively online, dont like wasting my time driving around...

15. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Unavailability of catalog titles is becoming a growing trend with stores like Best Buy. I, too, have been pre-ordering catalog titles I am interested in purchasing from e-tailers. As I have said before, this might be the niche market that will keep some of the e-tailers alive.

To my knowledge Best Buy never did carry The Great Race. I ordered that from PlayCentric for $13.13.

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

This is happening more often.

I had to wait until a week later to get Dick Tracy.Alot of the smaller titles are getting harder to find release day.

17. Kent Nelson

Kent Nelson Agent

I just got back from the new Comp USA in Lombard (Chicago West) and they had the most un organized DVD shelves I have ever seen. They did not have either BOD or TS on the shelves, so I was going to leave - but I asked a salesman and he got me a copy of each out of the back. Pretty good deal at $14.99 each.

18. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I posted in the BOD review thread a week ago that most BB stores would be getting a maximum of 3 copies. Most got 1 or 2. I ended up ordering mine.

19. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Congrats Kent-I would have liked to get it for 17.99 or 14.99, but instead of chasing down a cheaper copy I'll just deal with it. It is one of my favorite comedies.

20. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I got my pre-ordered copy from DVDPlanet.