Bad news about Ender's Game.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Paul_Sjordal, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

It looks like they're planning on combining books 1 and 2 into one movie.

Dadgummit!

The ending of book 1 is too powerful to use as some mid-movie thing. I could see combining books 2 and 3 but 1 and 2? Sacrilege! *hoists pitchfork* Burn them! Burn them all now!

(Edit: forgot to include the link)
    http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/49...html?fromint=1

2. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

I've never read Ender's Shadow, but the article says it takes place in the same timeframe, just a different character's POV. This doesn't seem like it would move the ending of the book to the middle of the movie.
    I thought that you meant Speaker for the Dead when you said book 2. Now I have to go find out about Ender's Shadow.

Chris

3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    www.philoticweb.net for all the latest on the movie. we'll be updating the older information over the next week as things are beginning to gear up.

This has been in the plans for ages. The only way that Card was able to get this script out was by combining elements of the first and second book. It will still end at the same place EG ended (but the new planet stuff takes place on Phobos). What happened was that by bringing in elements from Ender's Shadow (which is technically number 5 btw, or number one of the Shadow series) Card was freed from sticking too literally to the original Ender's Game. Basically it's tantamount to the LOTR movie scribes taking things out of the book series but bringing in sources from the appendices and other LOTR canon. It allows the heart of the story to remain and be effectively streamlined, all while upping the tangible conflicts onscreen. so it won't be an entire film focused on Ender's internal struggles; like Frodo and the Ring, that element will be there, but not the 100% focus it is in the book.

It's a good decision and the more I think about it, the better hopes I have.

And the X2 scribes is great news: Card's official Perspective

Card's review/thoughts on X2 when it was released. Keep in mind that Card isn't familiar with the XMen canon nor did he realize that the ridiculous ending was setting up the third movie (something I had to have explained to me).

Adam

4. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Adam! I was seriously worried!

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Ender's Shadow, so I'll have to skim Ender's Game to refresh my memory of how the 2 different perspectives match up to one another. It should be interesting to see the big screen treatment of the battleroom sequences.

Bean's story is sort of interesting, the boy was smart, and oh so paranoid (which kept him alive, though).

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I would have preferred an adaptation of just Ender's Game, but the combination of "Game" and "Shadow" isn't as awkward as most combinations, for the reasons already stated.
    The choice of those screenwriters, worries me. They wrote a fun X2, but it wasn't exactly the deep psychological mind-fuck that Ender's journey is. One is external and bombastic and the other is internal and subtle. The only common ground is that they are both set on an epic scale. Nothing in their resume really sells them to me as the ideal choice. But then if you told me that David Goyer had a Dark City in him after watching the Blade movies or that Crow sequel, I wouldn't have believed it either.

If Card has final script approval than I'm cautiously optimistic.