Bad music store experience

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael Varacin, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

I'm a little upset. I have been calling a bunch of CD stores today, looking for a copy of "The Traveling Wilburys, Volume 1" on CD. It's out of print, so my only luck is from used stores.

After about 6 phone calls, I found a place that said they had it. But they claimed it was an import.

So I drove 1/2 hour to go get it, figuring that the import was a good disk. It turns out, it's not an import, it's a bootleg. Damn thing is a copied disk, with fake jagged cut cover paper and no other labeling.

I was PO'd. I had to remind them there is a difference betweem IMPORT and BOOTLEG. They responded with yeah, someone made it. But it's the only way to find the disc.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Michael,

Technically, since the disc is a substitute for a previously released album, it is a COUNTERFEIT or PIRATE copy, and not a bootleg (which would consist of unreleased material).

Many shops use the term "import" as a euphemism for all of the above. And many counterfeits and bootlegs ARE actually imports. I have dozens of Beatles & Elvis Costello bootleg CDs and the vast majority are from Italy and Germany.

It looks like there are legit copies of this disc available on Ebay for about $40-50. Make sure the seller has plenty of positive feedback and states that the disc is an original, legitimate factory pressed CD, not a CD-R.

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

There's no excuse for the record company having let this album go out of print in the first place.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

OOP! Yeah, must be licencing problems that keep this one out of print.

I could kick myself for selling mine years ago. [​IMG]

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I have the original cassette version of this album. I forgot all about it 'till I saw this post. Too bad it's not on CD. I would've bought a copy if I'd seen it. It's a great album.

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Wow, I knew it was OOP, but had no idea it's worth so much. I have one sitting on my shelf.

What to do, what to do...

Jon

7. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I opened my ebay account 5 years ago just to get that disc. I ended up finding a brand new one in Australia from a place called Down Under Discs. Only cost me 20 dollars with shipping. Great disc, I hope you find a copy.

Edit: He is still a member, you may want to ask him about another copy. Here is a link to his profile. http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...4&frompage=222

Edit II: He is actually selling a copy now, but for more money than I paid five years ago and not to mention, used, but I can vouch for his honesty. (Admin note - active auction deleted.)

8. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

You never said weather or not you bought the pirated copy.

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I thought there were plans to reissue this CD. Maybe it was just speculation or rumor, but I recall reading that, after his tragic death, all of George's CD's would be reissued, including Travelin' Wilburys.

Maybe my brain is just having a memory lapse though.

10. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

The one I bought was pressed in the USA and its the exact same one I had, silk screened and all, before I lost it in college so I would assume its not pirated. It appears the copy down-under-discs is selling now was pressed in Germany, but he claims its the official release. He was honest with me so I would trust him, but ymmv.

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Dana, I remember hearing the same thing, probably on the Music Forum here, about a year ago?

I asked on the music forum about it after seeing Michael's post, but no one has any definitive info at this time [​IMG]