What's new

Bad movie theater experience tonight! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You should *always* say something if there is an equipment problem during the showing. I worked in theaters for many years and sometimes there are unavoidable snafus with equipment that go unnoticed by the staff. Sound can cut out for no apparent reason (exciter lamp failure), amplifiers blow up, xenon lamps explode; all of these happened to me as an operator! All the maintenance in the world could not have prevented them from happening during a show.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
I had two bad experiences that were due to the theater's inadequate staff/equipment.

First was when I went to see Empire Strikes Back, the first week of its initial run in 1980. They had problems off and on from the very beginning of the film. Then, when Luke lands on Dagobah, the film broke or something. A riot nearly ensued. I was only 11,and so I didn't realize yet that you could go and complain about something like that.

The second was this past February, when I went to see Brotherhood of the Wolf for the second time. All through the trailers, the projectionist couldn't get the film in focus. It was laughable. I don't really know anything about how theater film projectors work, and apparently, neither did the guy running Brotherhood. When the movie started, not only was it STILL out of focus, but the English Subtitles were cut off at the bottom of the screen! This went on for about five minutes. If I hadn't already seen the film, I'd have been furious! Especially since I'd been eagerly anticipating the film for about a month before it came out.

How do things like this happen? You would think that when they're playing the same film every three hours, five times a day, they could figure out what they're doing! Is it really more difficult than that? Is there anyone in the forum who's actually been a projectionist? Because it seems to me that it's probably not rocket science. Maybe there's nothing that can be done about film breaking, but when they've already shown the same film twice earlier in the day in the same theater, wouldn't you think the focus and sound would be all set? Wouldn't you think a French film would have the English subtitles where they could be read???

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
When I saw "Signs" yesterday, part of the picture was outside the bottom of the screen... it wasn't much, and it was dark enough that you didn't notice it unless you paid attention to it, but it was a bit annoying still.
Worse though was that the red EXIT signs by the doors on the walls next to the screen were reflecting their red light onto the screen! This led to the sides of the picture having a slight red glow... and the picture was FAR from black (more like grey and a very light red) during the night and basement scenes. At that point I was wishing I was home watching it on DVD... hell, my 32" standard TV has better black levels than that. :frowning:
I doubt that my complaining to the manage about the exit signs would do any good, it's not a THX theater and I bet they would have done something about this already if they really wanted to (it's a flaw in the design of the theater apparently).
/Mike

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Here's the problem with a lot of today's movie theaters: they don't have projectionists anymore (and yes, I've been working in projection for about 15 years now). There are some companies out there who have "Booth Ushers", meaning the same 16 year-old kid who just tore your ticket is the same one starting your movie. Let me amend that: he's the one that threaded up your movie, many projectors have timers that can start the projector automatically so there may not even be anyone in the Booth when your show starts. Even if there is someone there, that Booth Usher has things his manager wants him to do downstairs, so he'll run up to make sure the projector is running, then run down to sweep the lobby or take out the trash or whatever. This is why if the film is out of frame, it will stay out of frame until someone complains...there just isn't anyone up there.

Another problem with the theaters that do still have projectionists is that you'll have only one of them for a theater that has 20 or 30 screens. That's a lot of movies to keep an eye on, especially when you're getting the 3 to 5 shows that all start at 7:00pm ready to go. So if there is a projectionist in the Booth, he or she might be 15 theaters away threading up a projector while you're waiting to see when someone will turn the sound on.

Another problem is maintenance. Many of the Booth Ushers/Projectionists out there know just enough to make it through typical daily operation. Any maintenance, troubleshooting or repair is beyond their training which means that if something happens, they either have to call in a projectionist that knows something or they call in their company's field tech. For those that do know how to maintain the projectors, they often run into payroll restrictions. In order to maintain the equipment they may need to show up an hour or two early each day just to work on stuff before the theater opens, but they get told they can't come in early because the theater's payroll is over budget.

Mind you, I'm not saying all theaters are like this. Some actually do care and maintain their equipment and train their employees. However, in my experience, most simply try to get through as cheaply as possible. This means corners get cut, like not having more than one projectionist per shift in a megaplex theater, not allowing extra time for maintenance, not allowing extra time for proper training, and not paying the good projectionists enough so they want to stay instead of finding a better job somewhere.

All of the above is why I left conventional theaters and moved to an IMAX.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Imagine the expense of parking, babysitter, gas, etc. You pay all of this before getting to the theater, your presentation is ruined and what do they do? They give you a lousy free ticket to come back another time. Pfft.
Easy solution. Go over the theater manager's head. I had a problem one time with the theater I regularly attend and I reported the problem several times to in-house employees. When the problem was still there, I called the theater chains head office and explained the problem in detail (what the problem was and what I done to seek a solution). I got a call the following day from the district manager and went through the explanation again. He sent me 6 free tickets to the theater (I normally go by myself) and I gave them to friends and family.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
One of the strangest experiences I've had in a theatre was in an opening day screening of STARCHASER in 3-D back in 1985. The projectionist, apparently unfamiliar with Polaroid 3-D projection, had the equipment installed backwards, making the 3-D image appear "inside out". In other words, the backgrounds appeared to be closer than objects in the foreground! The only way to see the 3-D correctly was to reverse the glasses! This went on for about 10 minutes before they figured it out and corrected it. I have to give them credit though; the manager apologized and they started the film over from the beginning.

This happens with the field sequential 3-D tapes and DVDs if the polarity switch is in the wrong position. I'm glad the home 3-D driver boxes have such a switch though, as some of the tapes have indeed been encoded in reverse. A flip of the switch corrects this, however, so it's not a big deal. I just don't see why they can't all be the same!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'll just say that I was the Booth Manager at a 16-plex last year- what made me leave was that most of the screens had top/bottom masking for 'scope' films, and they made me set the automation so the masking would move up to show the stupid advertising slides on the 'full' screen, and have the masking move down when the film started!
I'm out of the theatre business right now but miss it, and hopefully the right thing will come along eventually.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
BTW has anyone in the Sacramento area been to the UA Market Square theatre by Arden Fair mall? I swear this is the worst-run theatre in the area- EVERY time I have gone there during the 10 years it's been open, there's been some sort of problems from incompetent personnel. I sent an email to the company telling them how badly run this theatre is and they sent me 4 passes, so I went back twice and there was STILL no improvement!! The last time I went I attempted to see "Minority Report" but the sound system was set to optical MONO, so I gave up and sneaked into "Men in Black II" which was slightly better except the ushers turned on the bright janitor lights during the end credits, which I had already complained about before! Why give passes to apologize for something that you're not going to fix???

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I still don't think this is a valid excuse especially when there are ushers roaming around. Why can't they have one of them, or the manager, stand inside the theater when the show starts to make sure that there isn't a problem with sound or focus.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the practice. I'm just saying that in that instance, it's not so much the projectionist's fault as it is theater management or administration.

Why can't they have an usher watching? It's a good idea, but remember what I said about cutting payroll costs: they'd think that if they have enough people that one or more of them can "just stand in the movies" (that's the way they'd see it, trust me) then they need to cut some staff.

Sad, but true.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Another thing is that sadly, MANY people who work at theatres do NOT know or care about movies. To most of them it's just a job and nothing more. I didn't even do it for the money, I just loved being there, I was also the only person who actually watched EVERY movie that was shown. I figured if I got to see them for free, and especially since I was running them myself, there's no reason not to.
A lot of managers don't even go in the auditoriums very much- their main priority is keeping the lobby clean, as if it matters that the floors are sparkling clean while the screen has a rip in it, or the snack bar displays are perfect while the movie is running out of focus!
If everyone who worked at theatres thought like me, there wouldn't be any problems at all :)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Why can't they have an usher watching? It's a good idea, but remember what I said about cutting payroll costs: they'd think that if they have enough people that one or more of them can "just stand in the movies" (that's the way they'd see it, trust me) then they need to cut some staff.
Chauncey,
Don't worry, I am not trying to argue or get into a debate about it, and I wasn't trying to infer that you were defending the practice. :D I was just elaborating a bit. Granted the staff is cut down, but normally, there is an usher who goes around to clean out the theaters after every show (again, normally they do). It wouldn't take long to walk over to a movie that just started to close the doors (to cut down on outside noise) and just poke their head in to make sure that the picture is in-frame and in focus. Surely THIS wouldn't require more than 15 seconds (if that). Then, maybe poke their head in again to make sure the sound level sounds right when the main feature starts. Again, both of these things together would only take up no more than 30 seconds of a person's time (that includes the manager).
To me (and I am saying this from experience - former assistant manager and projectionist), 30 seconds of one's time is a small amount to pay than having to spend more time than that listening to complaints or handing out refunds because you didn't want to give up 30 seconds. The theater I attend still does not employ this type of practice and I practically know everyone's routine. Meaning, I see employees aimlessly wandering about as if they are bored. These are the ones who can poke their head in to just check it.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
The only problem I've ever had at the cinema was when I went to see Spider-Man about a month ago. It was quite a small screen, and there weren't many people there, so I was quite happy, as there was unlikely to be much noise to bother me.
Of course, my happiness didn't last long. The lights went down as the adverts and trailers were starting... and then the lights came back up, and then went on to stay lit throughout the whole movie. I never realised how distracting it could be to have the lights on in the cinema - now I know!
And to top it off, as soon as the credits started to roll, the projectionist stopped the film and that was the end of it - it was just lucky that I wouldn't have had time to stay for the credits anyway, but that isn't the point...

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Brett,
I hear you, Brett. Don't worry, I knew where you were coming from. :)
I still part-time at my old theater doing print build-up on Thursdays. It's a 16-plex in a major mall, and they drive me nuts. They don't even staff enough people to go around and close the doors when the movie starts! It really hit home when I was walking in on a Thursday and passed the theater playing American Pie 2 right at the line where some chick asks, "Hey, can I borrow your dildo?" (or something like that). Not to mention passing by the theater during Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. It occurs to me that some parent leading their child down the hallway to another theater showing a kid's movie might not appreciate that. I tell the management what was up, and that I thought that if they wouldn't schedule an usher during the day, they might want to consider just leaving all the doors closed. They all agreed that something should be done. To this day, all the doors remain open.
It's not just the one company. I've worked for a total of 4 different movie theater companies over the years. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
I had a chance to go out to L.A. earlier this year and fulfilled a long-held desire to see a movie at Graumann's Chinese Theater (the one with the hand- and footprints in cement in front). It's an old movie-palace, and was I blown away! These were people that cared about screen presentation (obviously, because they've got movie industry folks going through there all the time). They had a screen that had to be at least 50' across and the light was even and bright, the focus was sharp as a tack and the sound was incredible. If you ever get the chance to visit L.A., take some time to catch a movie there. It's like a step back in time to when there was just as much showmanship to presenting the movies as there was to making them.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Brian, your post just confirms all the more why I do not go to theaters much at all anymore. More likely than not, it is a less then enjoyable experience. Not worth the gamble. I just wait for the DVD.
Peace Out~:D

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I currently work for a theatre here in our area, and recently have been learning projection and actually running the booth. One thing is for sure, many things can go wrong that cannot be stopped. For example, I just watched xXx and for some reason our Dolby Digital reader would not read correctly and we were getting constant dropouts in the digital track. This stinks when it is opening weekend and you want a good presentation for the audience. Even though the theatre it is in has great analog sound, the digital track blows it away. One word of advice as well, if there is a problem, TELL US! I am one of a few that actually check every screen constantly while working either in the booth or as an usher downstairs. Sometimes, I feel like I am the only one that cares. By the way, focus is easy to fix on our projectors: turn a knob until it gets sharp. Heck, its easier than Video Essentials :).
AJ Garman

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine solved this one for himself. Instead of going to movie theaters, he just waits for the DVD release and buys it. If he likes it, then it's a keeper. If he doesn't, then he sells it on E-bay. The way he put it to me is that even if he sells the disc at a loss, once you factor in how much he would have paid for a movie ticket and maybe something from the concession stand, he could sell a $20 disc for $10 and come out even.
It isn't just you. I had boycotted theaters successfully for about 2 years until a friend of mine insisted that I go watch Spiderman with him in Florence, AL. First, there was no surround and second there were the crying babies and uncontrolled kids.

My latest adventure, Signs. We went to watch it and the viewing experience was great at the Bijou in Chattanooga. The surround worked, no babies, no kids. One couple was talking during the trailers but a quick Shut the F#ck up glance got them quiet.

But, I still can't justify the expense (parking, snacks, dinner(not the movies fault but my wife insists)) or the liklihood that something will happen (crying babies, uncontrolled kids, no surround or a bad movie). I don't buy DVD's I want and sell them. I usually rent and then buy. To me a movie isn't released until I can go rent/buy it on DVD.

Doug

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
luckily i've had just a few bad experiences...while watching the world is not enough, the audio dropped in and out a few times, but it only lasted a few minutes in an old theater...but not that old. i don't think i'll ever forget the x-files experience...two people talking back and forth in the row right behind me through the previews and the movie...thankfully not commentary style like the guy here that saw k-19 (apologies for not paying attention to your name, i'll edit this post later if i have time), but still had me wanted to rip their heads off. definitely the worst movie experience i've ever had was watching a beautiful mind...during the dramatic scenes (such as when alicia nash broke down in the bathroom), one crazy old woman (sounded like it, anyways) couldn't help but LAUGH during each one.

thank goodness a previously two-theater indie-only chain company (in my hometown of columbus) opened an 8-theater plex just last october, all equipped with thx stuff. i've only seen one movie there (road to perdition), but it did the job for me. thank goodness that isn't the only plex that delivers great quality in columbus...but it's nice to know i have many choices. heck, even the 12 theater second-run here is oodles better than the tiny 4-theater one in my college town (miami university in oxford, ohio).

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so glad someone brought this topic up. My wife and I have been boycotting the theaters for about 3 years now for all the above reasons. At home I have direct control over everything. I too wait for the dvd to come out and I buy every movie to come out for the same reason as above, I sell what I don't like and keep what I do...it all evens out moneywise, especialy since BB has them on sale for 2-5 dollars off on the first week of release. My buddy always chides me for not going to the movies with him, he enjoys the "experience" while I enjoy the movie. I like to totaly immerse myself in the movie and some idiot kicking my seat always seems to prevent that from happening. I'm just glad I'm not the only one.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
This is totally a stereotypical unPC observation on my part and may be totally off and all in my head, but does anyone ever notice that women that go to films in pairs or groups with no men in the group tend to chat through a film? The second weekend in a row this has happened to me in a film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks