Bad Lieutenant and Reservoir Dogs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rhett_Y, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Sorry about the spelling...

Question:

Are either of these two films scheduled for a re-release in the near futures. I heard rumor of RD but have not heard anything since. I want to pick these two films up and they are supper cheap right now!

Thanks

R~

2. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Reservoir Dogs in July. Bad Lieutenant has no slated rerelease.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Bad Lieutenant" has a key song changed in the DVD version because of music rights (it's a rap 'song' using a Led Zepplin tune, who seems very uptight about licensing their music). I have the laserdisc with the music intact and it appears several times during the movie; I haven't seen the altered version but seems like enough to make it a different movie.

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Thanks for the responce...Of to the dvd store [​IMG]
    Thanks again
    R~

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

What was it replaced with?

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

There's no music now when he walks into the hospital. I'm not 100% but since the song appeared on home video releases of the film, I imagine that there was no chance to replace the song, only remove it from the audio track. It wasn't something that was removed immediately after the theatrical release.

8. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Actually the song was used durring 4 moments of the film and had a crucial affect to the scenes.

While the lyrics where pretty bad in my opinion & offensive for no real reason other than to try to be all that & insulting with the constant use of 'faggot among other words..the beat was good & it added a certain atmosphere to the scenes.

It's heard in the background early on in the film while Harvey heads to a apartment building durring the night

Then it's played fully up front durring the rape scene.

Then the hospital as Harvey enters & walks to the nuns room.

Then later on durring the end credits which are silent at first..and it slowly comes up in volume to it's up front & goes til the credits are over. This worked perfect & had a really gritty deep impact considering the ending of the film.

I was lucky enough to rent it on video last year & it turned out to have the music intact..i then recently caught some of the film on IFC to see what version it was & it turned out to have the alternate music in it's place(not sure of hospital scene though)

The only good change was durring the rape scene. I always felt the song was out of place there. Now it has a organ playing over the scene & it is much more shocking & gritty feel to the scene.

The end credits is also a huge change in tone & is just not the same. A folk-music song sounding like really bad Bob Dylan plays over the whole credits & start abruptly as they begin,it feels just tossed on & so on rather than the much more subtle way of ending it originaly with the other song slowly seaping up into the forground out of nowhere.

To bad led Zep are to stubborn to license out there music...though maybe they'll change there mins since they licensed 'Rock N Roll' for that one car commercial!...now if only the Waynes World joke would make sense & be restored!

I remember seeing that as a kid & until a couple years ago when i finnaly heard Stairway to Heaven + more about Led Zep & how popular that song is for some reason...i just could never get that part of the movie

"No Stairway..denied!" & he looks suprised.