'Bad' language on "Star Wars - TPM" disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianK, Sep 22, 2001.

1. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

A couple of reviews of the forthcoming "Star Wars - The Phantom Menace" disc have mentioned the "colorful" language used by Ewan McGregor and Rick McCallum in the "Beginning" documentary.
    Could anyone who has the disc please tell me precisely what is said, please?

2. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

As I have read on theforce.net (or was it ign.com, cannot remember) that the reviewer is just taken aback by the many *beeeps* in the documentary, I don't think you will ever hear the f-word in its full glory on the DVD.
    ------------------
    -Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."
    [Edited last by Dominik Dröscher on September 22, 2001 at 06:24 PM]

3. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

At the Star Wars Celebration (convention) in Denver in May 1999, I attended a Q & A session with yes-man extraordinaire Rick McCallum, and was mildly shocked when he dropped the F bomb at least one or two times while describing Episode I (this was a couple of weeks before it was released). Didn't bother me personally, because I've got a potty mouth [​IMG] , and mostly older kids and adults were in attendance, but there were a few younger kids there whose parents probably weren't expecting that, and didn't appreciate it, I'm sure. I still, to this day, don't understand why he felt he needed to use those words in front of everybody. . .
    Star Wars is just such a family-and-kid-orientated franchise that it's very odd to hear things like that coming out of the mouth of some of the higher-ups in Lucasland.
    But Ewan? Eh, Ewan's Ewan. He's showed his dick in other movies, he's had a nasty mouth in other movies, he's openly criticized the very movies he's starring in (Episode I's weaknesses, Episode II's title, etc.), so there's very little else Ewan can do that can surprise or shock me. Frankly, I would think something was wrong if he wasn't dropping the F bomb in every other sentence. [​IMG]
    Don't know how much of a big deal will be made out of the "adult" language on the disc--apparently, it's totally or mostly located in the documentary, which isn't probably going to be seen by a lot of impressionable kids. However, I did watch "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" a ton of times when I was an eight-year-old, back in the day. . . [​IMG]
    -mwb-
    ------------------
    Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
    Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
    Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
    May 22, 2002

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

We already knew this! All the problems come from McCallum! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

6. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I've now found one review which mentions specifically what Rick McCallum says (at the first screening of the film). Another review mentions his reaction when he visits the Pod Racer sets after the storm.
    The thing is that neither of these comments appear in the R2 test discs that I've been given to review, so I'm beginning to think that the disc has been edited for the UK.
    It might also account for the appalling lipsync apparent during the last third or so of the "Beginning" documentary.
    I'm also curious that while many TPM extras have been certificated by the BBFC, the "Beginning" documentary doesn't seem to be among them. Had McCallum's F-word been left on the disc, it would certainly have pushed the rating up to a 15, which would have been unacceptable to Fox.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Making of 'The Abyss'" has a few F-words in it, enough to push the PG-13 rating up to an R if it had been included as part of the actual movie!

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Julian;
    Could you please direct us to the reviews you mentioned in your post? I'd like to read them. Thanks.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

9. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Matt, I wrote that before I see your post! Actually McCallum did say other inappropriate things in that famous convention.

10. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

Is 'the beginning' on the R2 disc at all? I was going to get the R2 disc, as I find they suit PAL TVs better (I don't like the gaps between the scanlines on non-anamorphic especially), but this documentary is supposed to be very good, so if it is missing I might be swayed to the R1 disc.

11. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Richard:
    The "Beginning" documentary is definitely on the R2 review disc I was sent. It's the backbone of the second disc. I just find it odd that it doesn't yet seem to have been certificated by the BBFC, when so many of the other extra features have been.
    If I was being cynical, I'd say it hasn't been certificated yet because Fox UK were editing it, and it wasn't ready when the rest of the material was submitted...
    Fox have had an appaling record recently of releasing cut versions, including several that they have voluntarily cut themselves before BBFC submission. (Examples: "Predator" and the two "Hot Shots" films). Conversely, they recently released "Romancing The Stone" uncut here for the first time.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

13. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Well, I can now confirm that the UK version of the Phantom Menace disc has been edited by the BBFC.
    Several cuts have been made to the "Beginning" documentary, so that the disc could avoid a 15 certificate, (which would theoretically have meant that no-one under 15 would be allowed to buy a copy).
    If you go to the BBFC's website (www.bbfc.co.uk/) and search for PHANTOM MENACE you should see the entry for the documentary at the top of the list. If you click on that, it'll take you to the more detailed record.
    [Edited last by JulianK on October 04, 2001 at 03:42 AM]

14. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Isn't the original US version already beeped?

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

McCallum's are beeped (there's at least 3, one on the phone to McGregor confirming the part of Obi Wan, another after the destruction of the Mos Espa sets and one more at one of the first night screenings). Ewan gets away with swearing unbleeped in a couple of instances.
    Dan (UK)