What's new

Bad idea to add B&W sub to Polk setup? (1 Viewer)

RichardJ

Stunt Coordinator
Hey -

I am currently running pretty low end Polks (RT600 fronts and RT5 rears) with no subwoofer. I'd like to add a sub, but I want to invest in one that will last me once I upgrade the rest of the speakers in a year or two. I am leaning towards the DM603 S3 fronts / 601 SC rears combination.

Would it be a bad idea to get a B&W ASW600 sub now, knowing that it isn't a Polk, then just keep it when I upgrade the rest of the speakers?

I'm new to this (well, longtime HT fan, recent HT zealot), so sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
Your subwoofer does not have to be from the same speaker family as the rest of your speakers. If your asking on this board get ready for the SVS suggestions. Everyone on the board loves SVS and for good reasons. I have an SVS and a velodyne. You can't go wrong with either company (although you will get a LOT more bang for the buck with the SVS). B&W makes decent subs...you should also look at M&K. Good luck.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
B&W has been getting some positive notices for its newer line of subs (the 600, 650 etc.), but subwoofers are hardly the strength of B&W. Their old ASW series simply didn't live up to the rest of the B&W line. And this coming from a B&W fiend.

If you don't have the "my wife won't accept a large tube standing upright in our living room" problem then go with SVS. If space is an issue and you need a small sub with a good wallop, look at Sunfire and Velodyne HGS series.

And don't worry whether your sub matches your mains. Just make sure you're happy with what you choose.

Good luck.

RichardJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick replies! I will take a look at SVS, and I can probably swing 25-31PC-Plus in the budget, though it is a couple bills above what I had in mind. I actually like the "large tube standing upright in our living room" look ;-) and I don't have a W (yet) to worry about WAF. I still like the sound of the 600 series B&Ws, but they would probably mesh well with a good SVS sub, if they are as great as this board seems to think.

Let me see if I can avoid starting a new thread, but still get this answered: why would I move from the PCi to PC-Plus at the same 25-31 size?

Thanks again!
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks