What's new

Bad experiences with Amazon's Marketplace... (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Do I have "stupid" written on my forehead? :)

When you go to Amazon, and you find what you want, and if they don't have it or if you want a better deal, they have the links to the used (and new) stuff by individuals.

So I pick the link for the double CD version of Live in London by Deep Purple. The dude sends me the older single disc version. He was cool about the return though.

Next one. So I want to buy Combustication by Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Dude sends me the remix EP instead. He doesn't even include the original jewel case and inserts. He puts the CD by itself in one of those 1/2 CD-R cases. So now I have to pester him about returning it.

I have bought probably over 50 CDs/DVDs off of ebay. Not many problems at all. (I've never had to ask to return something.) I've bought less than 10 items from Amazon's marketplace. 2 bad experiences so far.

fyi...

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I've had no bad experiences with amazon's marketplace, but I think I've had even better experiences with ebay's half.com. I enjoy it so much more than ebay cause I can usually find the cd's I want pretty cheap and I don't have to deal with bidding and auctions.

Lee M T

Second Unit
I've probably used Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk's Market Places a total of 20 times or so. Mainly for Porcupine Tree material. Only one problem thus far. A CD never shipped. But I did get my money back for it though. So far, I would recommend it, personally. You can generally tell how reliable the source is.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I did get in touch with the 2nd guy. He did admit he sent the wrong disc. So I'll be cautiously optimistic that I can still get the right one from him.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
One problem with Amazon is all the listings they have for the same title, and the fact that some sellers are too lazy to actually check that what they are selling is the same thing. The other is that many sellers are dealing in bootlegs, and Amazon doesn't seem to care.

I make it a point to contact every seller to be sure I'm getting what I'm thinking of ordering. I've notified a couple of them that the item they were listing was the wrong one, and they've been cool about it.

However, I inquired with caimen about a CD they have listed under two ASINs. Their responses were assinine. I made it clear I had not placed an order, and wanted info. Their reply: What is the order number? I replied politely that there was no number, and that I wanted information: What is the order date? Again, quoting the original two emails I asked again: What is the order number?

Why respond if you aren't going to read the frikin question?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It's an excellent idea, Jeff--I do the same and would recommend you do this as well, Kevin.

I've become an inveterate Marketplace shopper over the past two years. My interests are too broad and deep, my Wish List is too long, my budget too tight and the deals are too good. I rarely buy full price retail on street date anymore. But you've got to shop more defensively, Kevin. I never buy anything that there could possibly be confusion about (is it really the gold CD/remastered version?; is it really the SE re-release?) without e-mailing the seller first. If they take too long to reply (or don't reply at all) or I find their response lacking, I don't buy from them.

I also tend to favor at least small merchants, if not larger chains that have gone click-n-mortar by partnering with Amazon, over individuals selling stuff outta their closet. (Granted, for the sake of minimizing confusion I tend to buy fairly mainstream stuff on Marketplace.)

Some Marketplace merchants I've had great experiences with include Wherehouse (Wherehouse.com), Spun (Spun.com) and Second Spin (based in Chicago). I'll spend a few extra bucks to order from them over a lower-priced different seller as I know the shipping will be prompt and only once have I ever received a scratched disc. Plus, Kevin, your also being in California will make Wherehouse and Spun order delivery quicker than for most (they both ship from the same warehouse in Carson, CA and upgrade to first class for no extra charge; I've ordered stuff on a Monday from them and had the discs on Wednesday of the same week).

I just did a quick look and both Wherehouse and Second Spin have Combustication in "Very Good" condition for $8.99. I notice also that Djangos (Django Music) has it too and I've bought a couple of discs from them with no problem (other than kinda slow Media rate shipping from Oregon).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...condition=used

I've also had great experiences getting copies of 'pre-owned' books via Marketplace.

-p

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
All good points, except that I've never had to "shop defensively" with ebay before.

The Combustication CD I will hopefully get from this guy, is $6.45 or so. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kevin:

I'm not sure comparing ebay/auctions to Marketplace is appropriate/'fair.' The two represent different buying environments with their own respective pros and cons.

And I'd rather engage in smart/defensive shopping practices and thereby lessen the likelihood of suffering the kind of hassle that motivated you to start this thread than save $2.54 by placing an order with an individual who sends me the wrong CD. If you'd agree that time often is money, I think you've more than already eaten your monetary "savings" via lost time on getting him to hopefully re-send the proper CD.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks