What's new

Bad DirecTV 'scan lines' on my new 50h81 (1 Viewer)

Tom Neely

Auditioning
I'm depressed.
Got my new 50h81 10 days ago and love it!
DVD looks awesome, Cable is much better than I expected but Directv is just plain disappointing.
I'm sure my problem can be fixed so I figured I'd start here to see if anyone of you guys can help. I'd love to get this taken care of by next Sunday for football and Band of Brothers!)
Here's the situation:
I have had my RCA dish hooked to my 35 inch Proscan in my family room for the last 5 years and have been very happy with the performance/picture. It is connected via R-59 coax.
Over the last six months, I have been finishing my basement into a home theater. I ran RG 6 coax during construction from the corner directly below the Proscan to the opposite corner where the new TV is now (it's about 75 feet).
Yesterday, I finally fished the coax from upstairs and connected it with a RCA amplifier/connector to the new coax in the basement.
I hooked up the satelite receiver and connected it to the TV with s-video.
There are very noticible scan lines that slowly move from from the bottom of the picture to the top. Trust me, they are bad. There is also a slight hum coming from the TV speakers when I connect the s-video cable. The lines get worse when I connect with composite or mess with the contrast and I tried two different s-video cables so I'm sure it's not the connections.
I suspected it was some kind of interference (electrical or otherwise) but then I spoke on the phone with a TV engineer at QVC (yes, the shopping network- my brother is a producer there.) The engineer said it sounds like my dish isn't grounded but I haven't touched the actual dish and the picture used to be great. Then he said it could be something as simple as the settings on the TV or receiver. He also said I should 'terminate' all open inputs on the back of the receiver.
I'm lost and I need help!
Anyone have any ideas/similar experiences?
Thanks,
Tom

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
The signal is digital until it enters your decorder box. I can't imagine that this is a digital defect; it sounds like interference.
I'd work backwards from the TV, eliminating one possible problem at a time. Play a VHS tape via composite to test the TV. Connect the satellite box with composite to test the cable and connectors. If the problem is still there try another box...and so on.

MattSherlock

Stunt Coordinator
I had scan lines on my 27 in Toshiba Tv going from bottom to top. It was very noticeable when the screen was black, I tried different cables but nothing worked. I too have Directv and cable. Well the lines would stop when I disconnected my cable feed going into the tv, I don't know if it's the cable feed for your situation but try it. I guess the s-video connection and the cable feed going into the tv at the same time was causing the scan lines.

Tom Neely

Auditioning
Thanks, Matt!
Looks like you solved the problem. Unplugged cable and
-presto- no scan lines!
Now the new problem: What the hell am I going to do about it?
I only use the satelite for premium channels, Music, Sunday Ticket and Pay-per-view. I need cable for the other stuff, plus there are three other TV's in the house that are all cable.
No way I'm unhooking the cable evrytime I want to watch the dish! Is this a 'bug' exclusive to Toshiba sets or will this happen with any HDTV?
How can I fix this? Help!
Tom

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Tom,
What amplifier? You shouldn't be amplifying satellite unless you are using a high quality unit that was made specifically for the task (like Spaun). Loose the cheapo RCA amplifier. It's not necessary unless you have a very long run or are using the wrong cable (i.e. RG59). Are you running the cable and satellite signal through a mulitplexer and then using a diplexer at the other end to separate the signal to the cable box and satellite receiver? Do you have separate feeds for sat and cable? Let me know exactly how you have it connected and I can advise you on how to proceed. I'll be at CEDIA after Tuesday so try to give me the information before then. Good luck.
[Edited last by Bill Lucas on September 02, 2001 at 05:17 PM]

Tom Neely

Auditioning
Bill,
Thanks for your help.
No multi-plexer/diplexer.
I have seperate feeds for cable and sat. I don't have a cable box, the cable goes directly into th TV.
The coax coming from the dish is RG59. The cable that I ran is RG6. They are connected with the RCA amplifier.
Tom

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Tom,
Replace the RG59 from the dish to the house with RG6. RG59 is not suitable for the job. Then lose the RCA amplifier. It doesn't belong in the chain. Good luck.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I used to think DSS video was great and it didn't look too bad on my small set. When I got a Infocus LP340 projector, I could hardly watch it. You see artifacts everywhere on a 8' screen. I ended up watching DSS and laserdisc on a 27" and DVD's only on the projector.
As they keep adding useless channels, the bandwidth will only get worst.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Tom -
I had a simlar problem on my normal (non HDTV). I installed a ground breaker in the coax line and it seems to have solved the problem. I bought this to solve a ground loop audio problem but it cleaned up my picture as well.
http://www.hometech.com/video/atten.html#dc
It may be worth a try as it is only $7.00.
Later,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks