bad crossover or bad tweeter???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Rodier, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

One of my speakers is having a tough time reproducing some frequencies. I think it is in the crossover range. some instruments (piano) can sound distorted and colored. However, the higher frequencies are still clean.

I played the chromatic scale from stereophile test cd #2 and confirmed that there is a problem. It sounds like the tweeter just suddenly turns on, not like it is being slowly introduced.

The other speaker sounds fine.

If the tweeter was bad, wouldent it sound like it at all of its frequencies? The speaker still plays nice, there is just a zones were things go wrong.

I think it might be the crossover, but the colored sound has me second guessing.

Now the real bad part. The drivers are proprietary and the manf is out of business.

Anyone have any ideas?

-rob

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s easy enough to tell which it is. Just remove the tweeter and feed it a full-range signal. Just be careful and keep the volume low at frequencies below the crossover point. A good place to start with the signals is about an octave below where you’ve already heard the problem. If this test reveals no anomalies with the tweeter’s reproduction, then the crossover is the culprit.

If course, replacement parts is the problem if the manufacturer is gone. You might try finding some speakers just like them on e-bay that you could use for parts.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with Wayne. Pull each of them out, feed them with a full range signal at a low volume, and see if the coloration is still there. If it isn't, then you have a crossover problem.

2, 2-1/2 or 3 way speakers?

4. Rob Rodier

2 way monitors. I may just swap the tweeters, and see. It is not going to be easy to get in there (non-removable grills) that is why I was asking. If it could be known that it was the crossover than I could attempt to have it fixed professionally, and spare myself the trouble.

If it is the tweeter, I am screwed.

Thanks guys
    -rob

5. Rob Rodier

I opened them up this morning and everything is pretty well soldered into place. Soldering on a flat surface is one thing, but doing it with the tweeter suspened in my other hand over the cabinet is another. I am going to leave it up to the pros.

Thanks again

-rob

6. John Garcia

John
    That sucks man. You can still hook signal to the tweeter to see if it works, since you have access to the drivers...

7. Rob Rodier

John, I am not sure what you mean.

I was thinking about hooking a small full range speaker up off the leads that go to the tweeter.

Do you see any problems with doing this?

-rob

8. Rob Rodier

I just read your post again, I get it. I will give it a shot.

-rob

9. Rob Rodier

10. John Garcia

John
    Cool, at least you know what the problem is. If you can find out exactly what kind component(s) are bad on the x-over, and you know how to solder, you might even be able to fix it yourself with parts from:
    www.partsexpress.com or www.madisound.com