Bad Component Video Cables???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_T, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T Stunt Coordinator

I performed a search and couldn't find any posts similar to my problem. Here it is. While watching dvds, I've noticed a white vertical line that goes across the screen from right to left. It looks like something you'd see on a video test pattern. But when I unhook my component video cables and hook up the dvd palyer to the tv via s-video, the line disappears. Has anyone experienced this problem or know what is causing this? Does the problem lie in the component video cable, dvd player or tv? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My equipment is:

TV - Sony 36FS16

DVD Player - Toshiba 2200

Receiver - Onkyo 797

All interconnects - Monster

2. Chris_T

Chris_T Stunt Coordinator

Cain,

Thanks for the info. I had the s-video running from the monitor out into the my wega. Switched to regular video cable and now the problem is solved. I appreciate all your help.

Chris

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Here is a follow up question....

Are cheap component video cables better than a good (i have bettercables) S-video cable?

thanks,

Jim

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A white upright line that moves from right to left and when it goes off the screen another appears at the other side?
    Seems like a grounding or interference problem, whether it is in a cable or in the DVD player or in the TV I don't know. If a cable is the problem it is more likely due to a defective cable as opposd to a poor quality cable.
    Try stringing the cables so they do not pass near power or speaker cables.
    Also try for no more than 15 minutes each:
    (1) Connecting just the Y cable, with nothing in the S_video, red, blue, and yellow jacks
    (2) Connecting the green jacks only using just the red cable, nothing in the red, blue, yellow or S-video jacks
    (3) Using different cables of any make or model.
    (4) Reversing in the outlet the power cord of TV and/or DVD player (if possible) in different combinations.
    (5) Try a different DVD player with component outputs, some video stores rent them.
    In these tests all we are looking for is whether the line did not appear, not the quality of color or freedom from ghosts. These tests may help narrow down what is causing or contributing to the problem.
    As far as getting good quality cables goes, it is either trial and error, use test equipment, or take the word of salesman or friends or packaging or advertising. The same make and model of cheap cables may actually be composed of different materials next year depending on what the manufacturer could get its hands on, so they may be good some year and lousy the next. It is not foolish to pass up really cheap cables becasue of the uncertainty. There are some very high priced cables that don't deliver better performance than other medium priced cables. There is just no easy way to find out.
    Usually component video connected with the cheapest cables of video grade (as opposed to audio cables) will outperform S-video via the best cables. There are other variables too, such as the quality of the TV set, that may make the difference hard to see.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm