1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Boys for Life (2020)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ScottJH, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Those scores come mostly from people who go to a film for entertainment and don't spend a lot of time thinking about what they have seen. They come out of the theatre, get polled and give their immediate impression and then forget about it. It is not like coming on here and saying, "yeah, I really thought that was a good film", then a majority of people post saying it was terrible and you start asking yourself, "what did I miss?".

Or the flip-side, people post on what a masterpiece a film is, using words like "best", "emotionally involving and "tour de force". Then you go to see it and you ask yourself, "what am I missing?" because you don't think of it in any of those terms. :)

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think that’s how most people view movies as entertainment.

DavidJ and Tino like this.
  3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Sure, but most people also don't come to a site like this to post why they liked or disliked a film. For them it is thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs sideways which is why a bunch of people posting here that the film was unimpressive makes for a total disconnect from the general consensus on a service like Cinemascore. A lot of people here do not see films as simple forgettable entertainment.

Jeffrey D likes this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It depends on the film for most people. For me, I wouldn't go to see that type of movie without thinking it's forgettable entertainment.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Saw it today and found it very entertaining. I agree with you about it being better than 2nd film. I did laugh out loud during a couple of scenes. My film grade is a solid "B" as I enjoyed the homage to the two prior films. It's time for Martin to retire though for good.
    Looks like they have it setup for another film with that reveal.

DavidJ and Jeff Adkins like this.
  6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I never liked the 1st 2 films. Maybe the absence of Bay will make a difference?

I'm planning to see it IMAX Thursday...

7. YANG

YANG Supporting Actor

If the action and humor get lots of nods from fellow fans here... The director and screenwriter are worth noticing for their upcoming future works. Undeniably, both Will and Martin(although Martin doesn't hv much on screen exposure as Will do...) level of humor doesn't fade with age.

Will be going to my first day screening of BB3 in the next 8hrs time, after knock off from work.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    If you didn't like the first two movies, I seriously doubt you're going to like the third movie. I'll be surprise if that isn't the case. Thank God for AMC A-List then.

DavidJ likes this.
  9. Colin Jacobson

Yup! A-List makes me much more willing to "take chances".

FWIW, I don't hate the 1st 2, but just saw them as too flawed and erratic. They have their moments but don't really click for me.

Some of that's Bay. I've defended Bay a lot over the years - crud, I really liked "Armageddon"! - but I thought his 2 "BB" movies opted too much for his worst tendencies.

So it'll be interesting to see if the new directors "correct" those issues...

10. Colin Jacobson

Went to see IMAX "BBFL"... and realized when I got there that I forgot my wallet! :unsure:

They were gonna let me in without ID - though A-List is supposed to require proof you own the account - but I was hungry and needed my popcorn! Without my wallet, that wasn't gonna happen, so I just left without seeing the movie.

Maybe later this weekend! :D

11. YANG

YANG Supporting Actor

Some are entertained. Some are WOWed. Some are bored... I'm sombered.
    As much as the duos tries hard to be consistent with their humors like what we had experienced with BB1, BB2... they tried hard... as over the years with other action comedies that had hit the screen, pushed WSML humor standard far way that I feel somewhat their humors doesn't gave me the kind of hard laughter I had before with the 2 old boys.
    All things seems "slow" along with the aging of the 2 old boys. While Will Smith had appeared in numbers of other films with his agile actions, fast talk of Martin Lawrence doesn't do well his in other performance in his other films.
    That seems to have some kind of affect, pulled and slowed down one another this time round when both had joined together after... 16yrs break? Or is it the pace that's controlled by the Directing Duos?
    Some other audience did laugh behind my back, I didn't laugh that much at all.
    Issit that I've aged as well? Or i'm with the BadBoys... I've aged as well, that i can't feel the adrenaline rush in BB2 before? My tears dropped when i thought "Mike" is dead for sure when we came to a scene where everything slows down, and everybody looked somber-ed.
    Eventually after the film ends, I didn't walk out of the cinema with a wetted shirt which seems as if I had tearjerked throughout the film, but hmmm... confused. Did the comedic chemistry mojo in them had returned? That spells for another BadBoys come back? Or Marcus going to be deskbound for good, while the old boy Mike gonna do other fights ahead tagged with new generation "B-Team"?

On the visual side, I don't think there maybe any positive experience even if mastered with HDR for Video-Disc release. Miami is sunny bright, and colors are vibrant enough.
    Audio wise, demo material? Probably not... as i couldn't feel the kind of bass with every impacts. But certainly the surrounding channels are well produced that will certainly give ur home environment a good workout. But not rockout.

12. Colin Jacobson

Saw it today. You win.

Come back, Michael Bay - all is forgiven!

Jeffrey D and DavidJ like this.
  13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Bay was there, for a split second!

14. Colin Jacobson

Ha - yeah, I know he does a cameo, though it's more than just a split second. He doesn't play a big role, of course, but he gets a few lines.

That's not what I meant! ;)

15. YANG

YANG Supporting Actor

On the 2nd ride with the boys now... Dang!!! WS 2.4 on a 16:9 screen... This 2nd ride is a little hard to take.

16. YANG

YANG Supporting Actor

Bay's MTV style, and pace cannot be replaced by any other wannabes. However his humor seems to be ...lost it's vibrancy over the years.

17. Colin Jacobson

I felt "BBFL" worked overtime to look like a Bay film. If I didn't know he didn't direct it, I'd think he had.

Bay's "humor" was always a weak point to me, as I disliked some of his broad choices.

I used to defend Bay, as I liked "Rock" and "Armageddon", and the war parts of "Pearl Harbor" were good.

"Transformers" broke me. I so wanted to like that movie but it was a mess, and the sequels didn't get any better!