What's new

Bad actor or bad roles? Josh Hartnett (and others) (1 Viewer)

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
JOsh Hartnett is awful. I've seen him in Pearl Harbor, O, The Faculty, Black Hawk Down and Water (Halloween h20) and every one of his performances sucked...he has no emotion and no range

why do people like him?? I have a feeling its that pretty boy syndrome like Leo had...the chicks dig Hartnett...but he sucks!!!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I don't like him either. After seeing him in Pearl Harbor I was very upset when I discovered that he was in Black Hawk Down.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
You know how he gets into movies? The casting directors have lovers who wont sleep with them unless Josh gets the part. A pretty face will get you far in life.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
why do people like him??
Well, I like Hartnett, but it's more of a sympathy thing, since he's a good actor who gets put into really bad films (O, The Faculty, Pearl Harbor, etc.).
I thought he was excellent in Black Hawk Down, which was a semi-decent film. I mean, it was quite a role that was required of him (inexperienced-but-levelheaded sergeant who gets put into command) and considering that he was up against a cast of heavy-hitters, not to mention the pressure of his face solely being plastered on public ads, he pulled off the part quite nicely.
By the way, check out The Virgin Suicides and Blow Dry if you want to check out some of Hartnett's better work. The trick is to avoid the horrible movies...which accounts for about 90% of his work. :)
Given the right roles, I think he can be an excellent actor.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
:rolleyesTrolling flame bait.:rolleyes
Don't fall for it fellas. This thread won't last.:thumbsdown:

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I think that Tigerland's Colin Farrell has the most potential. Hartnett is now one of the biggest names and I don't see any acting ability in him at all.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I quite liked him in Faculty and Virgin Suicides as well. I can't pass judgement on his performace in Black Hawk down as it doesn't reach our shores until the 14th of this month. But with the right role i'm sure he can do just fine.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sorry Tino, I can't resist. I have no problem with JH either, he's a pretty good young actor IMO, even in 'PH'.
Now, for the Leo comparison. I am sick to death of people fluffing off Leo! Did you even see 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape'? Or how about 'This Boy's Life', or 'The Basketball Diaries'? Don't tell me that kid can't act, he's amazing in those films! Especially 'Gilbert Grape'.
I'm cool now.:)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think it is the fact that he always talks with a very stiff lip. Stuff like that bothers me, but he is a decent actor none-the-less.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I've only seen him in Romeo & Juliet, Titanic and The Beach, and I'd still say Leo DiCaprio can act. I like him, y'hear! ;)
Never seen Josh H.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Those who say Dicaprio can't act don't know what acting is. ;) One doesn't get to work with the likes of Scorsese and Spielberg if he/she doesn't have talent.
As for Hartnett, from what I've seen so far, he's fine. With the right kind of roles, he looks like a promising young actor. His next film is a comedy and should test his comedic talents.
~Edwin

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
The only thing I've seen JH in was Saturday Night Live, or something similar recently. It was terribly painful, kind of like watching Mariah Carrey minus all the wonderful acting talent. His stiff delivery and terrible stage presence literally turned my stomach. I'm not trying to be overly harsh, just honest. It's one of the few times outside of Crybaby that a performance has made me physically ill.

As for Leo, I don't have a problem with his acting, I just think he looks goofy as hell. His head's an inverted triangle, for Pete's sake!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Leo's a terrific actor.

Josh hasn't terribly impressed me yet, though I thought "O" and "The Virgin Suicides" were terrific films, and "Black Hawk Down" was very good. I disagree about "Blow Dry" -- very lame movie which was too emotionally manipulative, and tread much the same ground as "The Big Tease". Actually haven't been in a rush to see "Pearl Harbor"! Jury's still out on Josh's talent for me.

Also, I agree about Colin Farrell -- I will see him in absolutely anything, including "Hart's War", whose trailers look pretty bad. I have much higher hopes for "Phone Booth", which is basically solely on his shoulders to carry the film.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I have to admit, Pearl Harbor made me hate Josh unfairly. I later realized I hated the charactor he was playing, not Josh himself.

I too almost died when I heard one of my favorite Directors (R. Scott) had choosen Josh to be in "Black Hawk Down". I thought he was excellent in BHD, proving (to me at least) Ridley knows what he's doing.

I think the whole Tommy Lee Jones look-a-like thing still prejudices many people for or against him. Unortunate, but.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks