What's new

Backyard music (1 Viewer)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I read or saw somewhere how someone who wanted music in the backyard put a sub into a hole that was dug into the ground. Details aside (protecting, insulating, etc) how feasible is something like this? Has anyoe done this? Would the base resonate through the ground? And being outside what kind of impact is that going to have on SPL?

Thanks in advance to anyone who humors this craziness.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I would think that it would sound like crap. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think dirt is the best enclosure type.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would say dirt is probably one of the "deadest" materials you could use as an enclosure. I don't think the ground will shake... you'd need a serious driver/amp to do that... and you probably wont want to stick that in the ground.

As far as SPL goes. Subwoofers outdoors don't generally have the benefit of walls to direct their energy... even if placed up next to the house, you would probably see some diffraction loss... to acheive the same SPL as you would indoors, you would need more power.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use a sub outdoors.. I'm just saying.. you aren't going to feel it like you would inside.

I built a cheap 50 watt 8" ported sub for my brother. He would drag it outside to listen to it with his tiny outdoor speakers and it sounded quite nice. He would put it up against his garage to get the most out of it.

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Without the cabin reinfircement, you will hardly hear the really low frequencies. You would get the punch and the basics, but the extension will be almost comletely gone. But surely you've noticed how you can here some cars a quarter mile away. Its only becuase the subs fir einto the trunk which provide cabin reinforcement, then it enters the cabin of the car where it increases even more. If I were you I would build the wooferbox, then construct a house for it to simulate the same situation you get in a car. It will color the sound, but at least youll here it. You cant be too critical of the sound of a speaker when you only listen to it while your doing yardwork.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I don't even know how I would go about such a project, I just wanted to get some opinions. To me it doesn't seem like it would work too well, but for backyard BBQs and whatnot it would kind of cool.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
How about building a LARGE sub enclosure made out of a septic tank? For the ultimate in-ground Sub. :)
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks