What's new

Backward volume control ? (1 Viewer)

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just my weird brain or what ? My Panasonic SAHE100 has a volume control and when volume is increased the display goes from -80DB DOWNWARDS to -50DB , -30DB and so on (have not cranked it all the way). Wouldn't this indicate the decibels are DECREASING thus getting quieter?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
This topic comes up every so often...

Since the display is dealing with negative numbers, -50 dB is actually an INCREASE from -80 dB. This is supposedly a reference point from the receiver's max output.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since the numbers are negative, a decreasing value is an increase in volume. In essence, it is somewhat irrelevant, since the scale may or may not be 1 integer change per dB.

Dean Arizona

Agent
Think of -80 being lower than -50 by 30 points. For example, I own the the B&K Ref 50 Pre/Pro. The volume setting for this unit at it's lowest level is -96. I typically have to raise the volume over 80 points to -10 or so to acheive reference listening level for home theater (that's really kicking it though!). I hope this helps ;).

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, if I'm not mistaken, an amps natural state is full on, so with the volume control you are effectively reducing the signal strength going to the amp. When you look at it that way, it makes perfect sense.

The receiver doesn't know what the maximum dB value it's capable of is because that all depends on the source recording, source device, speakers, etc., so instead of saying it's max dB is 100, or whatever, it says it's max is 0 and you are reducing the volume from the max with the volume control.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i dont get why the start off with -96 or 80 on the dial.
you cant hear anything till you hit -30 and lower . does anyone hear something different??????/ frank

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hmm, I didn’t see anything at that link that was any more informative than what’s already been posted here…

Simply put, the readings on a receiver’s or pre-pro’s volume knob essentially mean “dB before maximum gain.” It has to do with the pre-amp’ maximum output voltage, not audible volume (SPL).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chuck W

Auditioning
Check in your receiver's setup. There may be an option as to how the volume number is displayed. My Onkyo has this. It can display the absolute number(scaling from 0 to 100) or a relative number(which would display like what you are seeing now, with negative numbers).

Dean Arizona

Agent
I suppose that I should have made myself clearer when I discussed "referenced listening levels" in my earler reply. When I calibrated the sound levels for my speakers (Klipsch RF-7) using the Ref 50, I established -10 as the base level volume for the "DVD THX MOV 5" playback mode. This setup is established as one of my macros. Consequently, I use the "-10" volume level as my personal reference level for all movies that I play in this mode. I've found that most DD encoded movies played back in the Ref 50's THX mode are perfect at around -10 for my theater environment, give or take a few points. This is my personal reference listening level.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
My STR-DA7ES is like this and my friends Yamaha Z1. Niether of us can change ours nor do we care to. We would rather put the energy in enjoying the movies and music than nit pick minor details. Just go rent some movies and you'll forget all about it.

~C.C.~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks