1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Backup Software?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julian Reville, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Can anyone recommend a good, simple software for backing up 1 or 2 directories (on WIN 98) to a CD-RW drive? I have been using the MSBackup (Seagate) that came on WIN98 but now it seems to be flaking out. I'm not sure if it's the CD-RW drive, or the software.

2. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Are you backing up data? If so, you can probably just archive directly on CD. I've read good thing about Norton's Ghost utility, but I've never used it. In fact, come to think of it, I never backup my system, only my data.

3. Julian Reville

Thanks, Sam

What I am most interesting is backing up is 1 directory that contains a whole program, including both executable and data files. Total is about 200 files, 120 Megs. The data is irreplacable, that's why I'm so nervous.

Last night I got some new CD-RW media, and after formatting it, the backup (and restore to a separate computer) went fine. So I guess the CD-RW media I had been using went bad.

The MSBackup will let me backup to CD-RW, but not to CD-R, so I used the Easy CD Creator to make a data file on a CD-R that I will store away somewhere safe. I guess I could do this periodically, and continue to use MSBackup daily until I find something better. I would like to find a reliable backup/restore program that will use CD-R.

Thanks again,

Julian

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Hi Julian -

Would it be possible to separate the data from the executable and program files? This way you would be able to archive the data alone, and reinstall the program as you like.

Actually, my father today mentioned that he is looking for a similar utility. Let us know if you find something suitable!

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Julian - please define 'flaking out'.

6. Julian Reville

I guess "flaking out" isn't very decriptive, is it? [​IMG]
    When I was doing a daily backup, it would compress and backup the files, then get a read error on the verify, always on the same 2 files. So I reformated the disc (a Teac CD-RW that came with the drive), and it did the same thing. So the I tried a new Verbatim CD-RW disc, and it said "not compatible" or some such. Then I tried a new Sony CD-RW disc, and so far it seems to be working fine.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The Backup application with Win98 and onwards is pretty good. It sounds like a media issue you were having.

Ghost is excellent but it only works on a partition or disc level.

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Untill you get to XP right Rob. [​IMG]
    C. Ryan

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yeah, then it turns to poo.

10. Julian Reville