1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Backup software for Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveF, Jul 2, 2016.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Thanks! I was looking in the Windows desktop recycle bin, and finding nothing. I didn’t know the web interface had a recycle bin of its own. I found the files there and restored them in case I need them.

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    The last time I actually backed up the entire drive was a month or so ago using Windows 10 built-in tools. I was replacing the spinning platter primary drive with an SSD. I used the built-in Windows backup tool to back up the system to a USB drive and create a "System Repair" disc. I replaced the drive, booted from the Repair disc, pointed it to the USB image, and restored the clone on the SSD. Done. Exact copy. Clonezilla would have done pretty much the same thing but why bother when the tools are built-in and work?

I then simply expanded the partition using disc management tools to add the extra space on the SSD to the main partition (well... I did have to use diskpart to remove the Windows created system restore partition first so the space would be contiguous and not a new partition). I also don't use OneDrive but do separate file level backups semi-regularly. I'll usually create a new backup image every few months or after making significant program additions/changes.

Ashly Yeo likes this.
  3. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I have all of my clients on Acronis True Image. I have restored about 5 machines this year. 4-5 went smooth. One had bad data and boot sectors and couldn't be recovered in its entirety, was just able to pull data.,...

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Somewhat OT...I was using a 7 year old Samsung HD and decided to replace it for preventative maintenance purposes with a new Western Digital 1TB Blue HD. WD gets you a free copy of Acronis cloning SW and it worked just fine. Hopefully my new HD will last another 7 years or more.

Who knows how long HDs last these days. My desktop had been left on 24/7 since early 2010, although the HD would spin up and down in sleep mode.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Seagate also has an imaging tool called DiscWizard which is a customized version of Acronis.

6. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Stunt Coordinator

Backblaze is the go-to for that sort of information... https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q3-2017/

On a related note, I had no idea that they offered cloud backup for personal use. $50/year/PC with unlimited data isn't a terrible price either.

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Yeah that backblaze site showed up while searching on "hard disk lifespan". It's about the only real data out there, and it doesn't address questions like "how long will a 2010 Samsung disk last"? It did convince me though to buy WD rather than Seagate.

Disk manufacturers no longer publish MTBF numbers, but do specify lifetime number of head load/unload cycles. Samsung was only 50K whereas the WD is 300K. Does that mean a WD has 6 times the expected life of a Samsung?

That $50 is what I paid for the new WD 1TB drive. I'd rather own than rent.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Cloud backup serves a different purpose than local backups to an attached hard drive. What happens to your data if you have a fire or your equipment is stolen? I use both local and cloud-based storage for my backups.

9. Chris Strnad

Preaching to the preacher...
    What's missing from the message is that any backup solution is only as good as the most recent (successful) restore. Additionally, anything truly important should be backed up thrice (see: 3-2-1 rule)

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  10. 30 Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I didn’t know they did anything but personal online backups! :) I’ve used their service for over five years for backing up my and the wife’s desktops.

My experience is desktop USB drives last two or three years. Integrated drives in Apple computers are lasting me over five years. I’m waiting to see how my WD Red drives last in my RAID; I’m at one year and counting.

SSD’s I’ve only got a year on my first one so no personal experience there.

As for cloud storage: it’s backup and convenience. If data doesn’t exist in more than two places, it doesn’t exist. And if one of those places isn’t outside your home, personal disaster can destroy it. I’ve got three automatic backups systems, one with BackBlaze. It’s cheap and reliable.

11. Chris Strnad

The one in my PS3 is going on 6 years, as is the one in my old netbook (Samsung 830 and OCZ respectively.) My current pc has a 250gb nvme stick; my Steam install in on a 5yo 120GB OCZ, and all the other game stuff in on a 3yo 250gb Samsung 840. The old PC I have running PRTG also has a 3yo 120GB Samsung 840.

The trick with SSDs is managing unnecessary writes. Nvme drives are also going to be temperature sensitive if they don't have heatsinks and if they're close to the CPU.
    I have an old version of Dataram RAMdisk (v4.0.5) that still presents itself to Windows as just another drive, so I carved out 2x 2GB partitions from the 4GB ramdisk and mounted them to the user and system temp folders (instead of assigning drive letters.) After the initial config, the service is not configured to save on shutdown, so every reboot effectively deletes the folder contents. It's a bit of a hassle to get configured in this way, but requires no further though once in place.