Backup LD players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Huey, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Mike Huey

Mike Huey Extra

Hey there,
    I'm currently running a CLD-D704, and I would really like to hold onto my LDs. Should I eventually invest in a backup player? Also, can just storing the backup player without use be bad for it? I don't like thinking that in several years my LD collection might be rendered helpless when there are no more players available. Maybe I'm just too paranoid... [​IMG]

Thanks!~

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

There's no harm in having a second player. I use both of my working machines, though. The only problem I can think of with storing a LDP for any length of time is that the mechanical parts may freeze up; I managed to free the drawer mechanism on an old LD-700 just by working it back and forth for a while with the top taken off. Dirty microswitches are the bane of all home electronics, I think, but they don't seem to have anything to do with use or disuse.

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

This is the reason to have Kurtis Bahr on speed mail. The man will deserve a special place in the Afterlife for his devotion to the Art of LD rescue. So far he's rescued a CLD-99D, 2 704's, and a Mits 7057 for me.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Another great technician is Duncan Hunter of http://www.laserdiscservice.com He is every bit as good as Kurtis, perhaps even better, and does this for a living, where Kurtis does it on the side. He fixed my hld-X9 and provided a fantastic detailed overview of what the problem was, why is was a problem, and included pictures of the problem. I highly recommend both him and Kurtis as well.

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

That's a nice piece of information though being in Washington certainly increases the shipping costs/worries for those of in the East. Kurtis is just a few hundred miles away so it's a lot cheaper for me to send things back and forth to him.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

A buddy of mine picked up a good basic pioneer in working order from Good will for around $5.
    My only backup now is a sony which has the 'won't turn on' problem.....it will but after hitting the on button 50 times or so.
    I have been tempted to open it up and bypass the on/off and just plug it in when I want to use it.
    Anyone see any problems with that that I am missing?

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You can exchange the active player for a stored player every 6 months or so in order that one player is not left unused for long periods of time.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Jeremiah Dant

thats why i gave up on my laserdisc collection and replaced them all with dvd's and sold my dvl-700

9. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

That must have cost enough that you could have bought two or three more good LDPs against the day, long in the future, when Pioneer discontinues tech support. You're lucky to have been able to do that, too -- I have LDs which will never be released on DVD, and others which had a DVD release but it is impossible to get.

10. Jeremiah Dant

It did not cost that much for me. I only had 15 to replace. I bought my first LD player 6 months before DVD hit the market. Some told me about dvd the next day. So i just bought a dvd/ld player when they hit the market. So i did not buy very many laserdiscs. But for those of you that have huge collections that would be very expensive venture. I just sold my dvd/ld player and the laserdics a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the pioneer dvl-700 with the denon 2910. Much better picture quality now.

11. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

I think that you should change active player sometime. That is what I do with my 2 HLD-X9 and my HLD-X0