Backround Hiss???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have the Sony DA5ES recever & have been noticing a hiss on quite passages in movies or even on CDs. The problem is noticeable with the vol starting around 50 & get more noticeable the higher you go. What I don't understand is it did not do this when I first got the recever & it seams to be getting more evident as time go on.
    Dose anyone know what this might be & how to fix it? It doesn't seam to do this with all movies at the same level, as some you can hear it right off & others you have to listen for it.
    I cant figure out if this is just noise from the amps them selves or if it is some kind of ground noise. Dose anyone have any ideas? Thanks

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Joe, do you use a surge protector? Sometimes these units -- and most have an AC line noise filter -- can lower your noise floor from external wiring interference. Just a thot...

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Bill- If you can't solve this problem, check periodically with your Local ES dealer. If the problem is common with many other DA5's, Sony will no doubt be issuing a software update as in the past with the 777es.

4. Joe Tilley

Bill, I do have a surge on it. I'm using a Monster HTS1000. I plan on upgrading to something a little better when I can,but for now that's all I got.
    I've tryed everything from moving wires around,trying different outlets,& even checking wires in my breaker box to make sure everything was snug.
    Could dust on an optical connector be a possibility? I do get a good amount of dust in my house. I don't know if it possible for dust to find its way in-between the cable & socket but I haven't checked that out.

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Joe,

dust, dirt and whatnot kill optical connections and can be thought of the devil. but probably not your problem.

However, do you notice this hiss or backgound noise on all sources? CD? DVD? digital inputs vs. analog inputs?

If so are you using Klipsch or other high efficiency speakers? If so then this is normal.

Also do you notice it on certain CDs and DVDs as opposed to ones that are really well recorded? Your source will contain some low level noise or hiss depending on the recording.

6. Joe Tilley

John, I notice it on Mainly DVD sources, but it is there on CD also. Other than that I don't know I don't use any other sources except for the radio but there is always some static on it so there is no way to really tell. As for trying analog, or even digital coax I haven't given that a try yet.
    I don't know I may be just picking it apart cause I do tend to get pretty picky. I am pretty much the only one to notice. My wife has said she can hear it once & a great wile, but I can scream at her from 5 feet away & she wont hear me,(Oh wate she is my wife)nevermind[​IMG]
    As far as speakers go I'm using all Polk. I have a CS400i center & RT55I's for my front mains, front Surrounds,& rear surrounds which are wired in series.

7. John Royster

with you're polk's you shouldn't have any hiss at you're listening position. Do you hear it with no source selected or your CD player stopped?

Can you try and isolate it using just CD and disconnect everything from your system but CD, receiver, 2 speakers (no power, no interconnect, no antena, no nothing)? Then you can start troubleshooting from there.

8. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Some DVD's are to blame as well. I've noticed that various
    DVDs have a very low recording level (much lower than television signals, CDs, etc) and this forces you to turn
    up the amp to a high level to hear it at a correct volume
    level. At this level, you are often approaching the
    audible noise level in your amp. Two recent examples
    have been "Beautiful Mind" and "In The Bedroom."
    I have not noticed this on DTS soundtracts, only DD, but
    neither of the two movies mentioned has DTS, so this is
    just a minor observation and does not mean much at this point. Also, if your amp (Sony) features major equalization
    abilities, you have to make sure you aren't setting things
    like the treble setting too hot (+6db or higher at 3000hz
    or higher) if only to rule out the possibility that the noise floor in the amp isn't being exagerrated.
    But using a well-recorded DVD (try an action film) with
    decent recording levels and moderate equalization, you should not hear any hiss from the tweeters.
    Also, some speakers have forward sounding treble caused by
    a tweeter that's more efficient than the woofers. If this
    is not compensated for by the mfg. then you could end up
    with unwanted hiss only because the volume level the tweeter
    plays at is louder than the woofers, for a given input.

9. Joe Tilley

John, If I pause or stop on DVD or CD it is dead silent unless you really crank the volume to say around 15 or 20. My normal listening levels are around 45 to 50 & never more than 35 depending on the source.

Richard after you mentioned it I don't recall ever hearing the hiss wile watching a DTS title. Everything I notice it with is either DD or something on CD.
    This may be a bit of change in direction but could it possible be the DVD player? It is getting close to 3 years old & it has seen quite a bit of use. I notice the problem more with my DVD player than CD player which is only about 6 months old.

I don't know for sure I'm beginning to think that it may just be background noise & I'm getting overly pickey about it, but at the same time I never really noticed it before until a couple of months ago.
    I got the next couple of days off so I'm going to try a few things out & see what happens.
    Thanks for all your help guys, If you got any more ideas please let me know.

10. Joe Tilley

Well I take back my last statement when a track is paused or stopped the is no sound whatsoever at any volume. I did mess around with a few DVD's & sure enough DTS tracks have almost no hiss to none at all where as DD tracks have a hiss most of the time, some more than others.
    I quess this could be what I'm hearing.

11. John Royster

Joe,

If you hear no backgroud noise while your CD/DVD player is paused then I'd attribute the noise to the source material (very common) or your player (less common) or digital cable (never heard of this one, but it is in the chain?).

Every piece of gear has a noise floor associated with it. nice gear tends to be very quiet. All of the pieces add to the end result. So if you can't hear anything unless you crank it to extereme levels when CD/DVD is paused then you've got a pretty good noise floor.

some of my favorite recordings do have some noise in them because they are miked directly to tape/dat. there's gonna be some noise in there.