What's new

Backpacking through Europe. (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I have decided that next fall im going to take my two week's of vacation plus a couple of comp days and go backpacking throughout Europe for 18 days. Has anyone here done this? What are some of the major sites to see? What are some of the smaller lesser known but still interesting sites to see? Or just general tips and discussion would be helpful to. Wish me luck in 2003. :)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I just did it in March. Had a blast, and had never been to Europe before. What my friends and I did actually was take the train around for 12 days. All we had was a backpack full of clothes and the bare necessities.

We hit:

1.Amsterdam: DO NOT MISS THIS. Amsterdam was the most beautiful city I had ever seen.

2. Interlaken, Switzerland: Another must-see. If you goto Switz, go there. Its a city in between two lakes and has just beautiful scenery.

3. Venice, Italy: Nothing special to us. Hung out there for like 4 hours and just got lost in all the alleyways.

4. Paris: good if youve never been

5. London: Took the English Channel Tunnel over to London, and thats an experience in itself.

All in all we had a trip of a lifetime. I think about it all the time and just cant wait to go back.

Hope you have a good time. Good luck.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I'd strongly recommend visiting the Loire Valley in France. The scenery and castles you can tour are amazing.

One thing that I can guarantee: this trip will change you. Once you've done this kind of thing, you'll never be the same.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed Prague, Salzburg (stay across the border in Berchtesgaden(sp?) it's cheaper), and Florence.
Rome was a little too hectic for me (but the Vatican was cool) and Paris was too far out of our way.
I recommend looking into a Euro-rail pass. Sleep overnight on the train when you can to save time... you get more sights in that way. :)
P.S. Also, going to the church where my grandparents were married in Tübigen, Germany gave me a real sense of familial history. You may want to consider stops like these if you are of European descent.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
London, Paris, Rome are must-sees. Personally I love Italy, go to Tuscany or Umbria. I also recommend going to Naples (Pompeii and Capri)
A Eurail pass in an excellent idea, so is a guide like Fromer's "Europe on $25 a Day" (I wrote "Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters on my copy) although its probably called Europe on $50 a day now ;) I was surprised to be able to find out of the way penziones (sp?) and genuine local (as opposed to tourist-orientated) cafes, restaurants, etc. in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks