Backlit Movie Poster frames--have one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleI, Jan 16, 2002.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone gone all-out and bought a backlit or rear illuminated movie poster frame for your home theater or theater lobby area? If so, what do you have and are you happy with it?
    I've heard that only double-sided posters are effective in a backlit frame. True?
    By the way, here's a link where you can make your own backlit frames--much cheaper. I found the link recently: http://www.citycinema.s5.com/posters.htm

2. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

I've got a backlit frame from ShowOff Displays that I'm very happy with.

I try to buy double-sided posters when possible, but I've found that many single-sided posters still look quite good when backlit.

3. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,

Does it use fluorescent bulbs and is it easy to replace them when they do burnout (I assume you haven't crossed that bridge yet)?

4. Patrick Bennett

Yeah, it just uses flourescent bulbs. They haven't burned out yet (it'll be a while - I only turn it on when I have people over for a movie), but I'm assuming it'll be like any regular flourescent bulb replacement.

You sandwich your poster between a clear piece of plastic and a thick piece of white plastic that acts as a diffuser. When you slide out the diffuser, poster, etc. the bulbs are completely exposed, so changing them should be easy.

5. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

6. Patrick Bennett

Mine is from ShowOff Displays (http://www.showoffdisplays.com/frameset1.htm)
    Pick the 'illuminated cases' link - I have the 'matinee backlit case'.
    The Bass Industries cases are nice, but horribly overpriced (IMO). I'm perfectly happy with mine.

7. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Yep, that's one that's on my short list. My only concern with that one was whether or not it threw-off enough light to really light-up the double-sided posters. But I guess, from your replies, it does. Thanks-

Dale

8. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

9. Jim Mc

Jim Mc Agent

I built my own Marquee and included two backlit poster boxes I built.
    POSTER FRAMES
    I also used the Bass Loc frames. I bought 7 in the gold finish, they screw to the wall. They are not stud space mutilples so you must use drywall anchors.
    I took two of the frames and built my own backlit frames also. I went whole hog here as my best friend is an electrician and training to be an inspector and he does not let me get away with anything. "His God-children live in that home."
    On each side of the entry doors are 2 fluted columns framing backlit Bass Industries commercial snap-lock frames with light boxes I built. I removed the wood backing of the frames and replaced it with milk white Plexiglas. Total cost $150 each vs $700. Each light box is 2x4 framed with a 3/8" inset backing. The boxes were lined with sheet metal and have two pairs of 24" fluorescent tubes.(4 total)I think these are 30watts each for a 120 watts total per box. This is the same as the commercial light boxes. Each box is fused for safety.
    The white backed posters look milky on the back lit frames so I only use double sided posters in the light boxes. They look very dramatic.
    Jim Mc
    "The Stargate"
    http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=66116202303&n=1123730486