What's new

Backlit GBA Rumors... (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In the latest EGM, The Quartermann (their videogame gossip guy) mentioned that he's heard rumors of a backlit GBA for 2003. The cool thing about this is that even if it doesn't come to America, we can still import it because there's no region lockouts on the GBA.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Interesting possibility, but I'll have to remain the skeptic on this one. I would be interested to see if they could beat the afterburner's technology though-it has the advantage of not being a pure backlight, since it also makes use of the reflective front screen. If you're ever used a backlit PocketPC etc. in the sunlight, you'll know that it creates just as much of a problem as a lack of light for a non-backlit device. By contrast, I've never had a problem with my AB-equipped GBA in any light conditions, but had a hard time with my HP Pocket PC in the sunlight (and I doubt that Nintendo will include as much screen control as I had on that thing).

Still, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
If you're ever used a backlit PocketPC etc. in the sunlight, you'll know that it creates just as much of a problem as a lack of light for a non-backlit device.
Then again the GBA is for video games not a PDA. A PDA I can see being used outside in the sunlight, but if I had a true backlit GBA and I was outside, why would I be playing games on a machine? If I'm outside I'm doing outdoors things, not playing video games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I assume Nintendo would allow you to turn the light off. You can turn the Afterburner off if you install the switch.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
There's a lot of people who say that it will be years if Nintendo ever comes our with a backlight version of the GBA. Normally I would see this as true, but with the success of the Afterburner, I think Nintendo will strike back sooner than we think with Official Nintendo version, while the Afterburner will remain for those who want to mod their current GBA.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I assume Nintendo would allow you to turn the light off. You can turn the Afterburner off if you install the switch.
Not necessarily. Many vendors of handheld PDAs and what not do not have this feature.

Also, if it's off, keep in mind that the screen would not be as easy to use in direct sunlight as the current reflective TFT that they are using. All issues with it aside, the current screen is probably about the best technology for direct sunlight and other bright conditions - sad reality is that I use my GBA on the subway and on the couch, thus the need for my AB.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
If this rumor is true, I bet it will have an off switch for the light. The Indiglo GBP (Gameboy Light) they produce a few years back had an "Off-On-On/Light" power button arrangement. I would expect the same here. About damn time, BTW.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.