Backlit crown molding on the celing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I have no idea about construction or the terms involved so if I sound clueless it's because I am [​IMG]
    I've seen a few pictures of something like this.. a home theater (or I guess any room could do this really..) with some kind of decorative crown molding along the top of the walls, a few inches from the celing, and there's light coming out from behind it.. or celings that have like a big square "hole" in the top.. like the celing squares in this HT .. well that's a bit too much for me .. but basically I'm wondering how exactly do you get the lights behind the molding stuff like that? I mean I'm sure I know it's built into the wall and controlled with a switch and all.. but what types of lighting do you use for something like that? Having a bunch of square sections like that could have long phlorescent lights behind them but I think that might not be very practical.. I was planning to have something like that going all around the room, being kind of a big ambient light source for the room, and controlled with a dimmer switch. Would string-lights work, or would they not be bright enough? (they're sort of like xmas lights, in a clear tube)
    If I did that, is it possible to control the dimness from a Pronto or do I need a big high tech remote for that?
    It just seems like a cool looking design effect that I could easily do when I get started on my room remodel soon.

2. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

Most use rope lighting for their crown molding lites; you can find it almost anywhere nowadays; it just lays in the channel on the molding; as far as controlling them--a pronto will do it nicely (it's pretty hightec); but in order to do it, you must get a controller from x-10; not sure which one;somebody more knowledgeable than me will have to give you the specifics

3. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

yeah I've been reading up on the x10 stuff, I'm planning to look into it when I start rebuilding and stuff. depending on costs and all, I'd like to get a pronto and be able to control the main lighting in the room with it (dimmer part and all) but if that won't work a regular dimmer switch would be fine. Would rope lighting be bright enough to light up the whole room if it goes all around the celing? (it's only gonnna be around 12x17 I think)