What's new

Backlighting, drilling into an RPTV's cabinet, & a blacklight fixture (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ok, here's the deal. I went by Home Depot and picked up two 18" florescent fixtures and a GE Sunshine bulb rated at 5000K. That's the highest they carried. One fixture is just a regular white "under the cabinet" type for your kitchen. The other is a "black-light" fixture. Both work (in theory) with the bulb I bought. I'll know for sure when I get home.
On the regular fixture there is a white curved area behind where the bulb will sit. On the "black-light" fixture, there is a mirrored curved area behind where the bulb will sit. I bought both b/c I'd prefer the black one since it would hide better w/ my RPTV and look nicer, but I'm unsure if it will work.
So my questions are as follows:
1. Should I notice any difference in the two fixtures using the Sunshine bulb? (ie. will the mirrored surface affect it?)
2. Is it correct to assume that the mechanics and "guts" of a florescent "black-light" fixture would be similar, if not identical, to the regular florescent fixture?
3. Where should I put the fixture and where should it point? I've got a Tosh 65H80 and plenty of room behind the center channel. I bought two "L" brackets to make a shelf for the fixture if the bulb needs to be flush with the top of the TV, or lower than the top of the TV.
4. If I use the "L" brackets, would #6 1/2" wood screws or #6 3/4" wood screws penetrate the cabinet? I obviously don't want to do that, but I'm not sure how thick the Tosh cabinet is.
5. If I put the light behind the center channel, will it cause interference? Everything is hooked up to a Monster Power Center HST2000, but the light probably wont be. Is that good or bad?
Oh yeah, the wall behind my TV is medium oak wood paneling, not too dark.
Any input would be appreciated?
Peace,
DM
PS - I tried to do a search, but it wasn't working.
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."
[Edited last by Dave Miller on July 24, 2001 at 05:57 PM]

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO NO#4.
I am using a normal 20w bulb and fixture to accomplish my backlighting.
The idea is to provide a small amount of light(close as to D6500 as possible) from behind the set so that front lighting in the room is not required and the back light relieves eye strain from the bright picture area of a RPTV. Video Essentials DVD has on Title15 Chapter10 a "Reference for ambient light", which you can use to get the appropriate light level.
In my case I have wainscotting around the home theatre and I put the fixture attached TO THE WALL just below the wainscott. This would put it a foot and a half below the top of the RPTV. Higher than this and the light will be too much of distraction from behind the set. You want diffuse.
When I first tried it, I found the light level from the 20 watt still to bright. So I got some white plastic eggcrating used as light diffusers for large flourescent fixtures in buildings and cut it into strips half the length and full width of my fixture. I started pyramiding the diffusers on top of each other till I got a light level I was comfortable with. As it is now, there is a nice diffuse glow of light against the wall coming up from behind my 56" 16x9 Panasonic RPTV.
The icing on the cake is that I have the fixture plugged into my Panamax 1500 in the TimeDelayOFF plug. When my Marantz RC5000i tells the Denon to turn on, it triggers on the Panamax which turns on the fixture. When the Marantz shuts the system down, the fixture is delayed 30sec. before being shut down, which allows me to turn on the room lights. Next on the list is a remote room light switch.
Once you have completed your task, you will be very pleased with the results. Make sure you have calibrated your Toshiba for brightness and contrast before picking the proper back light level.
------------------

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I used velcro strips found at the local WalMart (sewing and crafts department) to attach my fixture to the slanted portion of the back of my 65807. It REALLY holds well!!
It would be a major Charlie-Foxtrot to drill into the cabinet of a RPTV, you would get sawdust all over the reflective mirror, the lens assembly, and the surface of the "guns".
You really should try the velcro route if you don't want to screw it into the wall, it is inexpensive and clean.
Good luck!
Pete
------------------

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I don't have and answer for you, but PLEASE DON'T DRILL INTO THE CABINET.
------------------
"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Radden Home Theater

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
So I take it you guys don't want me to drill.
wink.gif
I thought that might raise some eyebrows.
About a foot and a half down would be the middle of the slant on the back of my Tosh. Perfect! I'll try the velcro.
Now, if I've already calibrated my Tosh w/ Avia, I just need to go to the backlighting pattern and what? What am I looking for. Is the brightness from the pattern on the TV supposed to match the brightness of the light from behind the TV.
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. If you mount it on the RPTV make sure you have it aimed at the back wall to get a nice diffuse pattern.
I tried matching mine to the VE pattern, but instead just adjusted the light level from the fixture till it was comfortable for long periods of viewing, e.g. two DVD set of Lawrence of Arabia.
Well now that you've decided what to do I bet your Tosh is breathing a huge sigh of relief :)
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks