What's new

Backing Up Xbox Hard Drive (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I look at all the time I've invested in PGR2, the cars I've acquired, the stack of Kudos Tokens still in the bank, and I shudder to think of my Xbox crashing on me and losing what's on my hard drive. How much game information can one typically store on an external memory card? Is there a peripheral available that would allow me to a) dump game data from my Xbox to a memory card, then b) from a memory card onto a computer hard drive?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I thought (though not confirmed as I don't own one) that the mem cards are 8MB for the XBox. I hate mem cards which is why I went w/ the XBox and haven't bought one yet. But yeah, for games that you invest tons of time on, a mem card backup makes sense.

Unfortunately I don't know how many "blocks" 8MB translates to.

AFAIK, there isn't a utility to put mem cards to HDs, but I'm not the authority on things like this.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
That looks interesting as it allows PC connectivity. Although it reads like you can move files from the PC to the memory card but not the other direction (ie. more geared towards cheats). Will it work in reverse as well and allow saves from the Xbox to be placed on a PC for backup? I'm also curious as to how many MB a "block" represents on the Xbox drive so I can see how much memory I would need.

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
You're absolute best bet is to get you're XBOX modded, this way it unlock's you're HD and you can FTP directly from you're PC to you're XBOX.

This is what I have done and would never look back.

Any questions let me know.

Regards,
Matt

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
As Matt said a modded (soft or hard) xbox is your best bet for backing up your xbox because then you can do a full image of your entire drive through your network.

But if you are using it for Xbox live that might not be a good idea as you could get banned. (you can find ways around this, check xbox-scene.com for more info)

You can also make a larger memory card then the 8mb standard using regular flash cards and usb flash readers to transfer stuff from the xbox to the pc. (again check xbox-scene.com for more info)

If you don't want to by an Action Replay or a MegaKey because you already have a memory card, you can make an adapter from an old usb cable (or buy one they're like a buck now) and using a tutorial found at (again not trying to sound repetitive xbox-scene.com) to transfer the saves from your memory card to your PC and vice versa.

That all said the data for PGR2 should fit just fine on the memory card for transfer to pc.

cheers,

Zed

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Are you saying there is a way to use a modified USB cable to do what the mega x key does, but hook it righ to the PC. DOes this require a modded Xbox? I could not find this reference on the tutorials page at xbox-scene, only stuff about FTP over ethernet and the like.

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, you can make a cable to connect your controller to a PC then by putting the memory card into the controller it is read just like as if it were in a MegaKey or an Action Replay.

You don't need to have a modded xbox to make this work, in fact this is how you get the necassary files onto your unmodded xbox so that you can soft mod it. You can also then use your xbox controller for PC games if you want.

the link to one of many tutorials on this can be found here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/x...xbox-cable.php

also if you go here you can find more tutorials:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials....,1,0,0,0,0,0,0

also do a search in the softmod area of the xbox-scene.com forum.

Cheers,

Zed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks