Backing up VHS to Panasonic E50 and then editing on a PC?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris S, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I'm not really sure which forum this best fits into so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong one.

I am wanting to start archiving my VHS home movies but I'm not really ready to buy a whole new computer and all the equipment needed to capture them to a PC. I have a funding and wife issue (i.e. she says we don't have the money). So what I am thinking about doing to buying a DVD recorder, maybe the Panny E50, and using that to burn them to disk. Then sometime later on down the road, lord knows when, I will go back and do some editing on them via a PC and re-burn the discs.

Is that doable? Can I strip the video from the burned DVD-R onto my computer, edit it, and then re-burn a new disks? Should I be concerned over quality? Is a set top DVD recorder just as good (audio/video) as a PC? Are there inexpensive PC alternatives that I should examine? My understangin is that I would need an 80gig HD, AVDV 100, NED 2500UA DVDRW, and at least a 1.7 GHZ PC.

Chris S.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you just want perform simple editing, such as removing some of the footage, you may want to consider a model with a built-in hard drive. Panasonic's current models with such a feature are the E80 and E100. The E80 is basically the same recorder as the E50 you are considering, but with a built-in hard drive.

With the E80/E100, you can copy your home video footage to the hard drive, edit the footage, and then burn a bit-for-bit copy to DVD-R.

If you want more advanced editing options, such as fancy menus, inserting fades and other scene translation techniques, then a PC is your only option currently.

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    If I use the E80 for now can I later pull the audio and video off of the DVD-R for more editing on the PC? Or would I need to recapture it?

Chris S.