background hiss with kenwood vr-407

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by keir, Jan 19, 2002.

1. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i just noticed a background hiss with my semi-new kenwood vr-407... im not sure if it has always done this, but i havn't noticed it until recently. i have paradigm titans in front and klipsch promedia speakers (from my computer [​IMG] for rears. the klipsch in the rear are small satelites and probably have lower impendance than the normal 8 ohms, and i have noticed that they pick up a lot more hiss than the titans in front. while in stereo i can barely notice the hiss unless i put my ear right beside the titans. also, from -31 dB headroom to -30 dB on the receiver volume control, a much greater amount of hiss is introduced. it is present at lower volume, but when i change it from -31 to -30 the hiss doubles in volume. that seems very strange to me.. as if the receiver is just crapping out.
    are any other kenwood receiver owners noticing this or has my unit gone bad? since i got this unit from onecall.com it has had a humming noise while its turned on (not from the speakers, because the quiet hum is present when no speakers are connected).
    if the hum and hiss are only a problem on this unit, i may just try and get it fixed under warranty, otherwise, i might upgrade to an onkyo 494.
    the kenwood has been fine though for the most part, and quality and volume of sound seem top notch ..

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

haven't noticed this at all with my 407. I've noticed hiss in audio soundtracks, but not due to the receiver.

Mine doesn't hum either...

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I can also notice background hissing on my VR407, and also on Paradigm Titans. Its most noticeable in analog audio sources i think... Not as much (or none at all) from the Digital bitstream to my DVD Player.

What volume do you hear the hiss at? I hear it at around -45dB... Both my mains are set at +10 in the speaker settings. Also, do you hear a kind of 'click' when you go from -30dB to -29dB? or do you hear clicks every -dB you go up? Coz im getting that on mine...

4. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

there is a slight click sound every time i turn up the volume past -40 or so. the click for -31 to -30 is a bit louder than normal though.

5. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i fixed the problem, thanks to all of your help [​IMG]
    the hiss is only present with the subwoofer at +10, when i move the sub to +9 the hiss dissapears completely . thats why i only noticed it recently, because i turned up the sub output and turned down the knob on the sub.
    now its at +9 and i have no problem at all.

6. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

You might want to try backing off the sub level to around 0 and adjust the volume on the subwoofer itself. It seems to me that you're really sending a hot signal to the sub that might be bad in the long run.

Are your other channel levels similarly adjusted?

7. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

no i dont increase the output for other channels.. i did it for the sub only to keep it from going into power saving when it shouldnt.

if thats a bad thing though, i guess i can just turn off power saving and manually turn off the sub at night.

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

To clarify on my earlier post, the channel level controls should be used for adjustment in relative channel volumes, i.e. if the rears are too loud, then they can be brought down to blend in better with the other speakers.

If the speakers blend well already, then leave the levels around 0 and crank up the volume with the master volume control. This keeps preamp distortion minimal. If after cranking up the sub volume on the subwoofer itself, you're still not getting the volume you want, you may want to try a bigger sub.

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, Keir, we typed up our posts at the same time [​IMG]
    The auto-off thing is an issue for most of us. When the quiet parts come on, the damn sub turns off! Then it doesn't always come back on when it should!
    I went out right after Christmas 2000 and bought this remote light switcher from Wal-Mart. It's designed to turn on and off large amounts of Christmas lights. The box said it would handle 15A of current so I thought, what the hell. I plugged my sub into it and leave it on. I switch it on and off with the remote to the switcher. One year later and it works great with no problems. Great for lazy people like myself! Although my sub is only seven feet from my couch, I just don't like the idea of getting up and turning it on and off.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    oh this thread was a lifesaver.. thanks, i will try lowering the volume of my sub! yay!!

11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

NickSo, you might also wanna try backing off the other channels to around 0.

12. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Or you can just leave your sub on all the time and forget the remote control thingy. [​IMG]

13. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

Tim, do you have a link for that wal-mart remote. i've been looking for something to power up/down my amplifier. thanks

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

DannyL, unfortunately I don't have a link. I just stumbled across them on clearance. They were $5 each and they only had 2 in stock. I bought one and my buddy bought the other. I wish I could find more of them.