What's new

Back To You (1 Viewer)

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
Any comments on the opening episode of this yet?

It reminded me a lot of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, especially over the first 20 minutes, although with too many Ted Baxters and not enough Lou Grants.

I'm also finding it hard to see Kelsey Grammer as anyone other than Frasier, but he doesn't seem to be playing this character any differently anyway. The incompetent news director character seems very similar to Kenny at KACL.

All in all an average sitcom, and I'm not sure how much life the basic premise has in it, but probably worth sticking with for a while.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I would agree.

Kelsey Grammer seems to be fairly similar no matter what he does. But that's okay.

I'll give it a shot. It is light entertainment and it might grow into something pretty good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Didn't like the daughter angle, so my enthusiasm for the show has dampened a bit, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I thought it was pretty good (though I'm not much of a sitcom guy). A couple of laugh-out-loud moments ("We have breaking news that a fire is threatening a children's hospital," "Oh, thank god!"). And his YouTube rant was a scream.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It was enjoyable and has potential. And I liked the daughter sub-story; it gave the show some needed emotional depth. I'll give it a few episodes and see how it goes.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I thought the first episode was average, but I figure the show will hit its stride as the season goes on, just like KG's other shows.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Same here. The "daughter" thing also annoyed me, but the rest of it was pretty good. Hopefully after a few episodes, it will hit its stride.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
They need to cut back on the drive-by one-liners. Clunky with overuse.

Setup, entrance stage right, one-liner, exit stage left. Rinse, repeat.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Better than that hidious Till Death afterward! The daughter thing seemed like something they should have dragged out after mid-season, not the first episode, but I'll stick with it for a few more episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Missed it, any repeats. Looked at the Fox site, didn't see places where they may stream it or downloads of episodes.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, I wasn't going to watch this, even with Fred Willard in it.
But after seeing peoples reactions to it, and seeing that Christopher Llyod
created it and wrote it, I download it.

I actually liked it more than I thought I was going to.
I agree it would have been a better idea to bring up the daughter somewhere in mid-season.
The real reason I'm going to watch this show is for Fred Willard.

I think it has promise.
Hoping it could be a NewsRadio sort of show

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's what I thought. The "secret love child" seems too gimmicky for a show that's just starting.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
It has potential. I look forward to seeing it now that the introductions are out of the way and the can get into some (potentially) good workplace comedy. We'll see, the talent is there to do.....

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

So was John Wayne and it sure didn't hurt him. I too liked Grammer's performance and Fred Willard is an added bonus.

The show does need some tightening. The one liners don't need to be telegraphed as frequently and the laugh track should be toned down to fit the comedy value of the words spoken.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Is it me or did they pack a hell of a lot into 22 minutes of show? I didn't mind the daughter storyline. It was fairly obvious once he found out that she had a daughter that was the direction the show would be going. The entire editorial scene was the highlight of the pilot and the moment I went from thinking the show was amusing to "wow, this show is great." Now that I've found a new show that I would actually like to watch, I guess that means it will be canceled mid-season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey, thanks for the iTunes tip! :emoji_thumbsup:

It's downloading now! I didn't see it earlier today at the iTunes Store, I think I'm going blind. Wonder why it's free, I guess to help it get notice.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I really liked it and I DID like the daughter angle. Any show that combines a little heart with humor is a good show for me.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The 'daughter' angle does appear polarizing. I wouldn't want to see the offspring of "pity sex" turn an antagonistic relationship into a sexual tension that changes things between them. That's so predictable that the show could JTS on its debut.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, didn't like the daughter angle.

The Youtube rant was a riot..undecided on rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks