What's new

Back to the Future -- trilogy box set only? (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Im glad this is not an issue for me. I love will gladly pay for all three. Evven if they were offered indavidually, I would still buy the trilogy box set. Thats all I have to say about that.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Great. Time to call Universal. Again.
Again.
AGAIN.
"Hi. This is Jorge Mont..*click*..hello? hello?" Heck, probably before they even hear my voice.
This webaccess stuff is complete garbage. I have a DVD-Rom that can't handle anything more than the regular DVD menu stuff. any DVD-rom content (like PCFriendly, or whatever they call themselves this week) is glitchy and unstable. I can't play with Shrek's revoice. I can't view ANY movie along with the screenplay. Nope. It's either one or the other (often with a huge ERROR message).
And on top of that, at least THAT stuff is on this DVD. This web thing is malarky. Absolute stupidity. I may get violent on the phone when I'm discussing this with Universal. My entire neighborhood is ill-equiped for DSL and unless I play 100 or 200 bucks for a satellite system, I'm stuck with my modem for another year or two at LEAST. So just how does Universal expect me to watch these so-called special online features streamed through a 56k? Heck, it takes me a good hour to DL a quicktime trailer, but at least that's not streaming.
This is stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
And not just for BTTF. But ANY movie that does this stuff.
If my menu link for Deleted scenes or any of that stuff reads "Please Insert this Disc into a DVD-Rom for TotalAxess Features," I'm going to blow my top. :angry:
Still can't wait for the movie on DVD in widescreen. But it deserves better treatment than this.
How ironic that a studio called "Universal" is offering features in a way that only a select few can enjoy them.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Yes, it would be nice if the three movies were available as separate discs. But if you really hate the sequels, you could always sell them on eBay -- I'm sure someone will create custom covers for them, and you could easily get $15 or more for each disc.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying that somewhere out there on the internet there are message boards where people are up in arms about being forced to buy the crappy first movie in order to get BTTF2 & BTTF3? I must have missed that. ;)

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Dave-
Sorry it's taken me this long to respond. Now rereading my post, I see things aren't worded exactly the way I mean...

Yes, I think the three films should be available individually.

Yes, I think Universal is screwing the average consumer--but isn't that really what Christmas is all about?

No, I don't think it's anywhere near the same screwing as ET. Three different films for $56 is not in the same ballpark as one film twice for $70.

Also, I agree this bonus stuff on the Internet must be nipped in the bud. And I'd say that even if I had a computer and DSL to handle it. I'm buying the DVD. I want it on the DVD or not at all.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I too am interested only in the first movie and not the whole trilogy. I will wait to see what transpires over the next few months before I buy.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
If it's any help, Reuters/Variety says that the trilogy will carry a minimum advertised price of $39.95. I've paid that much for a single DVD before...so I won't have any problem paying that much for three movies that I actually want.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not particularly interested in any of the BTTF movies (no offense), but I am a bit disturbed that it's only a 3-disc set. What is that going to do to the bit rate? Are the movies short enough so the extras won't detract? Are the extras spread across the three discs, keyed to each movie? That would seem logical. Even more logical would have been to sell them separately, each as a 2-disc set.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Are the extras spread across the three discs, keyed to each movie? That would seem logical.
I believe so, but now it's stated by Bob Gale that each movie (in the region 1 release) has TWO commnetaries. So 2 comms, DD, DTS, then all the video supplements per disc... I too have to wonder about the trransfer quality of these releases.

Dan

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Despite the concerns in this thread, I think the vast majority of DVD collectors are pleased that the entire trilogy is being released at a reasonable price.

To Universal, I say Thank You! Better late and all together than never.

Mark

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly certian that one of the two commentaries on each disc would be the subtitle-based text commentary that's been mentioned.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Not so, Bill. Bob Gale was specific about it to BTTF.com;
"there are two for each film — a general commentary from a Q&A session Bob and I did at USC, and a more scene specific commentary I recorded with Neil Canton, " informs Gale.
Dan

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
"there are two for each film — a general commentary from a Q&A session Bob and I did at USC, and a more scene specific commentary I recorded with Neil Canton, " informs Gale.
This doesn't make sense. I can understand Bob Gale doing a scene specific commentary for each film but surely he isn't saying the Q&A session produced enough material for a commentary track for each film. That would mean the Q&A session lasted nearly 6 hours.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I can understand Bob Gale doing a scene specific commentary for each film but surely he isn't saying the Q&A session produced enough material for a commentary track for each film. That would mean the Q&A session lasted nearly 6 hours.
They did 3 seperate Q&A sessions/screenings at USC. One for each film. These sessions ran for the length of each film, and were not always scene specific in regard to questions asked, and answers given.

The Cast Away commentary was conducted in the exact same way, you'd never know. On the final presented track, you don't hear questions being asked. Cast Away's track was well edited, and Zemeckis seems to like this approach.

So you'll have commentrary 1: Full length discussion between Gale and Zemeckis regarding various points of each films production

Then commentary 2; Gale and Canton homing in on scene specific material.

Dan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gale and Zemeckis do great commentaries as indicated in "Used Cars". Just a couple of college buddies who made it to the big time.

Crawdaddy

Lafe F

Second Unit
I prefer the movies in separate cases instead of the three-way blue-box that Universal has planned. The rectangular movie poster artwork is cropped by the roundness of the disc. I shall be printing the replacement cover art from dvdcoveart.com to satisfy myself. Good enough for me.

If the movies came in their own cases, people could break up the set and sell the ones they do not want. I doubt people would buy discs in custom-printed cases; places like eBay may not even allow it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks