What's new

Back to the Future -- trilogy box set only? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
(Started as a separate thread to avoid "thread-crapping" on the existing discussions, since I'm expressing a dislike of some of the films.)
With all the recent news about the DVD release of Back to the Future, I wonder if perhaps I've missed something. Has Universal announced DVDs of the individual films, or just the trilogy box set (á la the DVD release of the Godfather films)?
I'd like to get the original film for nostalgia value, but have no interest whatsoever in either of the sequels. (In all honesty, I'd have been just as happy if the second and third installments were never filmed.)
Here's hoping I won't need to buy the whole box to get the one movie I want. Then again, it's Universal, of E.T. and Alfred Hitchcock Presents fame, so maybe I won't hold my breath. :)
doug

Chris M

Second Unit
It's just the trilogy, we haven't heard of seperate releases yet. Just like with Godfather. But with the price so low (about the price of 2 movies), it's still a good deal. I'm sure most people would like the whole trilogy since it feels kind of unfinished at the end of the first.

You may be in the very minority Douglas.

Chris.

Clint B

Second Unit
I've heard rumours that the first installment will be available for purchase separately, but I don't think that's been confirmed.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Douglas. I have no interest in the sequels. I'll buy the first if it's available separately, but if my only option is buying all three together, I'll pass. I have no interest in paying $50+ for a single title.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Lots of folks have already stated here on HTF in the past their preference for a separately-sold SKU of the first film, so let's not go back to evaluating whether that's a good or bad thing to do again. :) I tend to think that there's plenty of folks out there - on or off the HTF - who would buy just the first film separately. I'm not one of them, but I understand those people.
So my answer is this: Right now Universal has not announced it. It doesn't mean it won't happen sooner or later. BUT!...
Y'know how we've discussed how E.T.'s $70 Ultimate Gift Set is what folks have to buy to get the original version of E.T., and how Universal is bilking our wallets by forcing us to buy that big set and all to get what we want?
Universal is doing EXACTLY the same thing here with Douglas and Paul and *millions* of folks who feel just like them. "Think parts 2 and/or 3 suck? Too bad...you have to buy the entire trilogy to get what you want! :evil laugh: "
Not so different from E.T. after all... :frowning:

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I doubt there is any bad intention on the part of Universal. They're trying to get these films out on DVD to make money. That's their line of work. The BTTF are somewhat cult films that also are enjoyed by the general public to some extent -- just like the GF films.

That being said, while I like the first film, I'm not sure I'll spring for the box either. If the first one isn't available by itself, oh well, plenty of other films to focus my attention / funds on.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i would buy the box set, just to have the "whole package" but my wife wont allow me. hehe..she and I both only like the first 1, but she actually hates the 2nd and 3rd, so Im not even allowed to own them 2.

haha, either way, I dont really care. I would have liked to get the first one once they came out, but if its gonna be a while before they are released separately, then I can wait. Hell, weve already been waiting forever as it is right?

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm eagerly waiting to shell over my money for the box set.

However, I can understand and sympathize with those who only want the first movie. David is right - this is exactly like the ET situation. In a moment of weak-willed, hate-myself-in-the-morning, I'm-going-insane stroll through Best Buy, I just might pick up the original version of ET if sold separately at a reasonable price. I absolutely will not pick up some $70 super-duper edition. So I can definitely support those who complain about a box-set only BTTF even if that one is on my must-buy-immediately list.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Lambert, Mr. Lambert-

I finally get to say this: I think you're wrong about something.

ET set is $70 for two slightly different versions of one movie. BTTF is $57 for three different movies. To me, that's a much better deal.

I would buy the original ET seperately, but will not pay for the butchered version.

I would buy the first BTTF seperately, but will buy the trilogy.

To me there's no comparison. That said, I don't really like the fact that Universal is forcing some to buy the trilogy just to get the first one. My guess is that shortly after Xmas (usually a dry time for DVD/CD releases) BTTF will be released alone, but if you want to give it for Christmas, well, your options are limited.

(Please don't accuse me of attacking David. There are very, very few members of this or any other forum whose opinions and comments I respect as much as his.)

edited to correct the BTTF price and point out that as of this writing, on amazon.com BTTF widescreen is #1 and fullscreen is #148.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That said said:
I cannot convey enough pleasure here that you guys find me that worthy of respect, frankly. I don't consider myself to be anything special. But thank you very much for the compliment! I can say that I certainly don't feel attacked, and noone else here should, either. We're just having a healthy debate, and all of our opinions are valid.
Thanks for the post, Kurt.

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
I also am only interested in the first movie, and am seriously considering holding out for the remote possibility of a single-movie edition release. So long as the transfer and audio are the same, I couldn't care less about any extras I might be missing.

I fear I'll have to go through this all over again once the Indy trilogy is released (if it ever happens, that is). Once again, I'm only interested in the first one.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Jaws 3 said:
That's interesting. I just realized that I have the same reaction to the Indy trilogy that I have to the three BTTF flicks. I love the first one, I think the second one is to dark for its own good, and I enjoy the third one (although not nearly as much as the first).
Link Removed

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You have a point but the comparison isn't totally fair. Spielberg had nothing to do with any Jaws movie after the first one, and Robert Zemeckis was the director of all three BTTF movies. Even if you don't care too much for BTTF 2 or BTTF 3, they're both definitely better films than Jaws 2 or Jaws 3, IMHO.
My point had nothing to do with who directed what, or whether Jaws 3 is better or worse than BTTF 3.

The point was, that for both series of films, there are a large group of consumers who only want the first film in the series.

If Jaws/Jaws 2/Jaws 3-D/Jaws: The Revenge were only released as a box set, for - say - $40 street price (it'd be more, for 4 films, is my guess), and no separate version of the first one were available, everyone would be pissed, right?

So why is it unfair to think that BTTF fans are any less worthy of that consideration? If you dislike the sequels, it doesn't matter to you how they compare to the sequels of a different film, right? You just want the first one in the series...period.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I love BTTF. I also love BTTF3. However, I despise BTTF2 to the same degree that I love the other two combined. That being said, I don't think I'd ever buy just two of the three. While I understand some people being upset--and I don't agree with Universal not releasing them separately--I'm glad that I'll be able to get all three for a reasonable price. At least I don't have to go through the same torture I had to go through to get Rocky 1 & 2. I was lucky enough to get the box set for the low price of about $42, but I felt pretty bad paying that amount for two movies and three blank discs. Some people insist that there's content on those other three discs, but as far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 Rocky movies.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

Back To The Future fans aren't pissed because of the fact that 2 and 3 are considered to be ATLEAST decent sequels by just about everyone. You say "it doesn't matter how good the films are if you just want the first one" Well in this case it does, that's why your not seeing many complaints, because most fans want all three considering it's an ongoing story. Totally different than Jaws.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I think the comparison to ET is apt. Look at it from my perspective: if I want only the original version of ET, my only option is to pay $70, and to also buy, included with the package, a bunch of things I don't want; same thing with BTTF: if I want the original, I'm forced to pay $50+ to get it, accompanied by other things that I really don't want. I'm not given the option to buy just the things I want; instead, to get what I want, I'm forced to pay a premium and purchase things I have no interest in at all.

In both cases, Universal is screwing me: the consumer.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
one thing i notice is that when many people make thier MIA lists, they put the three major trilogies (SW,INDY,BTTF) at the top. they don't really seperate them out indivdually.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I don't know about you, but I'm glad they're selling all 3 movies together in one box set, with each film an SE. Remember the days when the first movie would sometimes be the only film in a series that was available on DVD, and if the sequels were available, the first movie in the series would get an SE, and the sequels would just get a trailer? I'm glad those days are behind us now. I do identify with the people who just want the first, but I will be happy with all 3 in one set.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I could probably pass on the third film, but don't have a big problem buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks